Author Topic: Virus Cleaner - can't tell if updating  (Read 2614 times)

firstjohn3one

Virus Cleaner - can't tell if updating
« on: July 29, 2004, 04:56:06 PM »
Hello again - when we look on the simple interface, the virus signatures are updating and the virus reference database is being recreated fine...  Question is the "Virus Cleaner Tool".  I poked around on that and found "Version 1.0.196 Unicode, Build on 6/29/04".  Is there a way to see if that tool is being updated as well (thought it got updated when you got new virus signatures)??  Many thanks...   Daddio

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Virus Cleaner - can't tell if updating
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:04:28 PM »
Well don't you think the date tells for itself? Also Virus Cleaner isn't updates as regular as VPS,but only for selective worms/malware.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:58:46 PM »
Well, you are obviously referring to the standalone aswClnr.exe.
It is a simple removal tool - there is no automatic updating implemented (and it never will be, I'd say). So, to update it, you simply have to download a new version.
In any case, this tool should be used only when you already got infected - and it shouldn't happen very often if you're using avast! ;D  So, there's no real need to keep this tool updated all the time (from your point of view; when you really need it, you can always download it).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 05:59:10 PM by igor »

firstjohn3one

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 12:24:32 AM »
Thank you Igor - that's what I needed to hear (vs. previous post  :'().  I understand that is only run when needed and you must download the latest version.   DT