Author Topic: avast won't/can't deal with virus  (Read 4320 times)

fannymites

avast won't/can't deal with virus
« on: July 31, 2004, 03:11:33 AM »
I received my first ever email virus today,"Win32:Plexus [Wrm]"  which avast detected but when it asked what I would like to do, it said unable to process file and did this with every option I tried.
I then clicked ok since it was all I could do and when I checked my inbox the infected message was there with a warning in the subject "VIRUS - Do Not Open".
Since it was from someone calling me Nick, which isn't my name, I wouldn't have opened it anyway but why wouldn't avast deal with it properly?
I am using Thunderbird and since I keep regular back-ups of my profile, I ended up erasing the entire "Mail" folder in my profile and replacing it with the backup, just to be safe.

Delta

Re:avast won't/can't deal with virus
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 09:30:59 PM »
Hmmm, this is strange 'unable to process' usually means the file is in use, doesn't it? But if the email had just been downloaded and immediately intercepted by Avast why was Avast unable to delete the message? Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 09:32:33 PM by Delta »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 09:53:21 PM »
If Avast detects a infection you can choose "remove file at next boot", choose that and reboot. That should take care of it.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 01:00:51 AM »
fannymites,

Since the email contained an executable file, Avast can't do anything with it because it does what it is intended to do.....prevent you from opening it.

Manually delete the email and you will be fine.  As long as you did not attempt to open it, safety is assured.

Now....had you gotten a virus that was already imbedded in your system, then Avast would act it according to the option you selected such as Move, Delete, or Repair.

Ok?

fannymites

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 01:04:18 AM »
Ok. I have done several AV checks since I deleted the file because I wasn't sure if just deleting a virus gets rid of it or not.  I don't have much experience of virus' since I've only ever had 4 or 5.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 03:25:27 AM »
fannymites,

Only 4 or 5!   ::)
Let's hope that Avast keeps you from getting any more!

Deleting the file DOES NOT ALWAYS remove the virus.  It depends on what the virus is, so come to us for advice.

It was a good idea to run online scans as well.  I like Trend Micro.  Don't recommend Panda though.

Good luck

fannymites

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 05:31:47 AM »
I've been using internet about 6 monthsand when I say I've had 4 or 5, I didn't get infected, I meant they were detected and dealt with. The others came through a p2p program but since I stopped using p2p I thought I was doing well, never got infected yet.
Also, when I deleted the file, I used "Eraser" and it was overwritten 35 times, does that make a difference?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 07:23:11 AM »
Also, when I deleted the file, I used "Eraser" and it was overwritten 35 times, does that make a difference?

With rare exceptions just an ordinary delete will do.  I think you can safely say that that virus (or at least that copy of it) has been as thoroughly "sterilized" as is possible and won' t be bothering you or anyone else again.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 07:23:39 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent