Author Topic: Protect from Keylogger  (Read 26280 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Protect from Keylogger
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
Been there with that one. ;D Since he doesn't have a job atm, his allowance defeats the purpose lol.

[OT]
So, either let him get a job or deduct it from the pocket money (in rates)...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

Just see what flags this: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.refog.com%2F&x=10&y=1
The malware is Spyware.KGBSpy is a commercial spyware program. It logs keystrokes, Web sites visited, and clipboard activity. It also has a screen capture logger and can be run automatically in a silent, undetectable mode.
Description: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=da9dba82aad495663b4b33ce31cd1539

This spyware can use FTP or email to send all the logs to a remote server or email address.

These actions are configured in the program's Control panel of Systems.exe. When the program is in Hidden Mode, it cannot be accessed until it is brought out of Hidden Mode. This can be done with a hot-key combination (the default combination is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+K).

How to manually remove Spyware.KGBSpy

To save time and avoid risking destroying your computer, we highly recommend use a spyware scanner such as SpyHunter, to detect Spyware.KGBSpy and other spyware, adware, Trojans, viruses, keyloggers, and more that can be hidden in your PC.
Files associated with Spyware.KGBSpy infection:
MPK.dll
MPK.dll
Spyware.KGBSpy DLL's to remove:
MPK.dll
MPK.dll
Remove Spyware.KGBSpy registry entries:
RUNNING PROGRAM\explorer.exe
RUNNING PROGRAMexplorer.exe

It should at least be flagged as PUP,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:47:47 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »
Good info..!! Thanks, polonus..!
Proves, that a legit keylogger isn't possible...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »
It should at least be flagged as PUP,
After thinking on David's arguments and yours, maybe, this will be the better solution.
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »
Hi Tech,

And why I think it should be flagged as a P.U.P. As you intentionally installed it onto a computer for whatever reason it could be a wanted problem, you could ignore the P.U.P flag. I guess the parents own the computer of the junior they key log, on the other hand I think it is to be preferred at all times that youngsters and parents agree what is allowed on a computer and what is not and at all times try to discuss that policy out with their kids before intstalling a key logger as a last resort measure. I for instance would feel terrible with a parent if there was no mutual trust between parent and child and on line behavior could not be discussed freely..but I know that there are a lot of people with minor educational skills - one needs the right papers to do a lot of things in this world, but not for rearing a child, which is a hell of a job sometimes...
In any other circumstance the more as the key logger is completely hidden, whenever it was not put there by my own consent or by someone who does not own the machine I am on (and in all other cases of a boss worker relation it can only be fairly done if the worker is being told explicitly that his on line activities are being closely monitored and the reason this takes place) I wanted the program to be flagged as possibly undesirable. Key logging people is the weakest bid as is snooping and there is really no excuse for it to do this without the snooped on party knowing this, at least I would feel rather uncomfy with it,

polonus

RONIN2010

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »
but I know that there are a lot of people with minor educational skills - one needs the right papers to do a lot of things in this world, but not for rearing a child, which is a hell of a job sometimes...

As a parent I'm trying not to take that out of context.. "minor educational skills".. I have a B.S. in Computer Science and am a father of a 16 year old and 10 year old. If anything I'd like to think I'm more than qualified to raise the same children I've been raising for 16 years.. Albeit I don't have the knowledge you may have of malicious software or information security, however I'm more than capable of calling the shots when it comes to my kids. And as I'm sure you've heard this before, however, in order to fully understand the scope of my dilemma, you'd need to be in my position. As for, "the right papers", no degree or certification, can ever prove to someone else, that you're a suitable parent. ESPECIALLY, with those who aren't parents themselves, as everyone seems to hold a P.H.D. in raising everyone else's children.. So maybe it's best to leave that to those who hold the title. Forgive me if I've misinterpreted your comments as I respect your opinion, however, think you may have went a little overboard in judgment. I'm all for finding an alternate route. I've heard quite a few interesting ideas in here and am examining each one.

Been there with that one. ;D Since he doesn't have a job atm, his allowance defeats the purpose lol.

[OT]
So, either let him get a job or deduct it from the pocket money (in rates)...
asyn

Liking this suggestion! ;D

Since it cost you $700 before, perhaps it might be worth looking for a cheap netbook, that has adequate resources for school work, single Atom processor, small screen, limited RAM (1GB, 2GB Max) and graphics (possible to hook up to a TFT monitor at home), so it won't be able to run some of the things he wants to download.

Thanks David. I'm thinking this is more of a logical solution. That and combining with asyn's suggestion. That way, if he destroys it, he's going to have to pay to fix it. I can definitely give this one a try. It seems more logical that he's likely to curb the activity, if it's something he's responsible for.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 02:27:56 AM »
Liking this suggestion! ;D

It works well, believe me..!! ;)
asyn

Yance

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »
RONIN2010, www.k9webprotection.com can block p0rn and also sites you need to pay, some kinds of malware, etc.
It's a freeware.

k9webprotection is very weak!! you just need to disable the javascript function on your browser and k9 will not work again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:15:43 AM by Yance »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 03:35:36 AM »
k9webprotection is very weak!! you just need to disable the javascript function on your browser and k9 will not work again.
???
Can you post a step by step routine to do so?
What does it has anything to do with javascript?

Yance

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
???
Can you post a step by step routine to do so?
What does it has anything to do with javascript?

If you use firefox, go to option (on tools menu) and uncheck the "Enable Javascript" on Content tab (same methode for another browser). Is there a new version of k9webprotection? I never test again untill i found this bug on k9.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:17:37 AM by Yance »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
Hi RONIN2010,

What I wrote in my above posting is just my opinion, and a generalization as such. I cannot see why anyone as a good-willing parent would take my general mutterings personally or find this offensive. I just wanted to say that key logging your children should be done as all other methods have failed, to me it is the easy way out - no discussion - I monitor you - end of story. It is always a good policy to clearly put out to them what you expect of them, that you are aware of all that they are up to, and that when they go against this, they certainly will have a problem. I was just asking people to keep an open dialog with their kids as long as that is possible. When children and parents mistrust each other this will or could have a terrible effect later on in life. Certain things won't be allowed, and there are rules set out before them, but they must have the feeling that with whatever problem they can come to their parents,

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
If you use firefox, go to option (on tools menu) and uncheck the "Enable Javascript" on Content tab (same methode for another browser). Is there a new version of k9webprotection? I never test again untill i found this bug on k9.
There is no bug... It's working perfectly...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
Feel like Polonus on this...

Yance

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:36 AM »
There is no bug... It's working perfectly...

what version of k9 you are use for test?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
what version of k9 you are use for test?
Program Version     4.0.296