Author Topic: Protect from Keylogger  (Read 26241 times)

Yance

Protect from Keylogger
« on: August 20, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
Hello...could avast internet security protect computer from keylogger software?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:14:36 PM by Yance »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Protect from Keylogger
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »
Yes, it can.
The best things in life are free.

Yance

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
wow that's awesome...how about keylogger hardware?

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
Last I checked the is no software solution for that, Avast! or otherwise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
Last I checked the is no software solution for that, Avast! or otherwise.
I think the same.

RONIN2010

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
Just happened to catch this.. I concur. Correct me if I'm wrong, not sure I've ever heard of Keylogger "Hardware". Keylogger "Software" can often be stored on removable hardware, i.e., flash drives and via a USB port. I would think that if it's a program stored on a flash drive, avast wouldn't be able to catch it because it's not scanning the USB ports. Unless the program was installed onto the computer or on something such as a CD or floppy, in one of the drives, it's not going to be detected by any AV. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I often hear this at work and have been curious about whether that was viable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Not sure I've ever heard of Keylogger "Hardware".
For instance: http://www.keyghost.com/

I would think that if it's a program stored on a flash drive, avast wouldn't be able to catch it because it's not scanning the USB ports.
Of course avast will detect it if it is running. Otherwise, it won't be active and it's a file like any other.
Any (good) antivirus will detect it.

RONIN2010

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
For instance: http://www.keyghost.com/

<== *Learns something new everyday*

Thanks for clarifying that Tech. And providing that link. Wasn't aware that they've now managed to disguise these as adapters and now keyboards.. However, in a twist of irony and unbeknownst to you I think you just helped provide a solution to my 16 year old problem. ;D

Of course avast will detect it if it is running. Otherwise, it won't be active and it's a file like any other.
Any (good) antivirus will detect it.

Right, respectively. Avast is one of the better AV's around, no argument there. Nice endorsement btw :P In this situation I think it's clearly defined that Avast can do many things. However, examining the back of your desktop for you, isn't one of them. And I just grew a little bit more paranoid lol. :-\

Yance

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
Yes, it can.

thanks for your comment. i interested to know how avast protect our computer from keylogger software. Is avast block the software (prevent the software for run) or secure every character that we type?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:29:43 PM by Yance »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
Yes, it can.

Tech,

Thank you. :)

I have a free subscrition to Zemana, it has never found a real keylogger.

It's nice to know that all along avast! has been protecting from keyloggers.

Maybe that's why Zemana never found any when I install it. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
Well keyloggers require more than just an AV to detect them as there are legit keyloggers and the problem is one of determining intent, has it been placed maliciously or legitimately and AVs have trouble determining intent. So an AV only may well not detect all keyloggers.

One thing that a malicious keylogger will be trying to do is to connect to the internet to upload the data that it has logged and it is here where the second line of defence, your firewall comes in. So a firewall should be monitoring connections looking for unauthorised outbound connections.

So the AIS should give better protection against keyloggers as the firewall element should also be monitoring outbound traffic...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yance

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
Well keyloggers require more than just an AV to detect them as there are legit keyloggers and the problem is one of determining intent, has it been placed maliciously or legitimately and AVs have trouble determining intent. So an AV only may well not detect all keyloggers.

One thing that a malicious keylogger will be trying to do is to connect to the internet to upload the data that it has logged and it is here where the second line of defence, your firewall comes in. So a firewall should be monitoring connections looking for unauthorised outbound connections.

So the AIS should give better protection against keyloggers as the firewall element should also be monitoring outbound traffic...

So, are you try to tell us that avast can't protect from keylogger?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
If a keylogger is running it's most likely running at start up,

so WinPatrol should alert me, of course it would be up to

me to make the the determination as to what it is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
I think any (good) antivirus should detect keyloggers.
If it was installed with intention, the user should do exceptions into the antivirus.
If it was installed by a malware, it should be removed.
I think avast is NOT calling PUP (potential unwanted programs) the keyloggers. They're being detected as malware. But I could be wrong. I just tested one keylogger some time ago and it was detected by avast as malware. Doing the exceptions, it worked.

Yance

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »
I found that avast did not detected keylogger software from www.refog.com