Author Topic: can you get 4.8 free version  (Read 9040 times)

icethenet

Re: can you get 4.8 free version
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
Avast will be releasing v5.1 in a month or two.  This will be helpful to someone like you with many machines; you may want to check their blog.  You update one as the admin. and all will be updated...I don't have all the details yet, but they are also updating things from v5.0.594 as well.  Avast is the only AV with a boot-time scanner and in 5.1 it will work for Win7. 

I also run XP machines, so I can relate to your memory issues.  I have tested other AV's and that is why I stuck with Avast.  But this is certainly your decision.  I would look into the new version that is going to be release though. 
Ya I think I will wait for that this 5.0 is just too beta they needed more testing before releasing. It is defiantly not ready for prime time. and they should still be running 4.8 for another year or 2 I see many people have problems with 5.0 not installing or just plain locking the computer like mine. I spend an hour going through the registry to find old remnants of AVG and KIS. KIS did a complete uninstall and AVG still has remnants so I am not going to totally blame Avast for this one AVG is partially to blame for having a bad uninstaller but being aware of the popularity of AVG I would make a suggestion that Avast search for the existence of AVG in the install process and stop the installer until they remove AVG using your uninstaller or do it automatically if detected.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Ya I think I will wait for that this 5.0 is just too beta. <snip>I spend an hour going through the registry to find old remnants of AVG and KIS. KIS did a complete uninstall and AVG still has remnants so I am not going to totally blame Avast for this one AVG is partially to blame for having a bad uninstaller but being aware of the popularity of AVG I would make a suggestion that Avast search for the existence of AVG in the install process and stop the installer until they remove AVG using your uninstaller or do it automatically if detected.
v.5.0.594 has been out for over 9 months now for the public, so it is not beta. 

The problem you had was remnants of 2 existing AV's in your system conflicting with a 3rd (Avast) new install.  As was previously discussed with other posts/users, it is the responsibility of the user to make sure remnants are removed and not the software you are installing.  Can you image the legal ramifications?  :o 

So you can look forward to a new Avast in the very near future, and we will be here to help you.  :)

icethenet

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »

v.5.0.594 has been out for over 9 months now for the public, so it is not beta. 

The problem you had was remnants of 2 existing AV's in your system conflicting with a 3rd (Avast) new install.  As was previously discussed with other posts/users, it is the responsibility of the user to make sure remnants are removed and not the software you are installing.  Can you image the legal ramifications?  :o 

So you can look forward to a new Avast in the very near future, and we will be here to help you.  :)

Although it may have been released to the public it is far from being stable. Avast is simply using the public as a beta tester. I don't believe it is so unstable as to call it alpha but it is indeed in its beta stage. and should be called beta until a truly stable product is developed. There are many quality beta programs out there that are released to the public and that doesn't mean that they are not good. It just means that all the bugs are not worked out yet. That is the condition of this software. Because you don't call it beta doesn't mean that is not beta. As a courtesy to users the software should indeed still remain 5.0.954b so they are aware that problems may exist with their system or perhaps pr1 label may be more appropriate as it is released on the public for testing.

KIS completely uninstalled! I hand it to the Russians for making the best software. It installed without a hitch and ran like a dream if it missed a couple of Viruses well I am certain it will find them in future editions. Kaspersky labs has always proven to be Solid AV with a Quality Firewall and Great Malware Defense. Only problem with Kaspersy is it's price. If it were cheaper I definitely buy it.

Yes I imagine that your right about your software uninstalling another product automatically, but like AVG the uninstaller will stop installing the software tell you the problem and you can uninstall the problem yourself. Try it! I know it works finding Norton Utilities. I have repaired computers and found out there were prior versions of Norton on them and it will stop installing tell you remove Norton and the continue the installation I don't believe that if they do it that is that difficult to accomplish. Or illegal in any manor. I just tried it with Avast installed and here is the screen shot.

icethenet

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
One final note after inspecting Panda I find it is free for non profits and showed better results. I am going to test and will probably be making my recommendations to the non profit about using that software. and your boot scan is all good but at 539.85 for 30 seats for AIS is a bit much for a small organization like ours. To those that think that it is the users responsibility to make sure that the software is installed properly have another thing coming. That attitude will make you loose in the software game. It is the responsibility of the software manufacture to make sure there software installs properly and that it has no conflicts with other software. If there is going to be possibility of that then the manufacture will loose sales plain and simple. It is up to you to bring a viable piece of software on to the market and provide support for that product. Until that software has outlived it usefulness. In your case 4.8 is still used and is still viable software probably better than 5.0 in that it probably doesn't have all bugs of 5.0. I personally don't care and will be NOT USING Avast as I find it is poorly made, poorly supported, and poorly marketed. It has great potential but that is being ruined by those that think everything is the users fault. This is not the case. I have to point that finger directly at the installation and support. This forum is great and you have been great at helping but the bottom line is that support is being halted on 4.8. If we were to purchase site licenses for 30 and in the future 50 seats and you upgrade and decide to stop support where would that leave us. Like other customers here I would be pissed. So my decision not to purchase the licenses and go for a free better system is what it has cost you here today. In terms of real hard cash and a rock solid client. I say these things not to make you mad, but rather to inspire you to hold yourselves to a higher standard. To make improvements to your core operating philosophy and to create a better piece of software. Sorry I will not have time to come back to this forum and read your response because I have a great deal of work to do. You also have a great deal of work to do so it is best to not even respond. You have a great day and a great future.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:34:37 PM by icethenet »

antonyburgess

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
after reading your posts it looks to me like it isnt a problem with avast! but more on the lines with your  pc.

Gargamel360

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 12:39:57 AM »
Did you read the part where he said he is not coming back, best not to even respond?

Or are you in a real hurry to get those avatar/signature rights?

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: can you get 4.8 free version
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »
Thread closed.