Author Topic: Avast 5 blocking/closing my MSN Messenger Constantly  (Read 2416 times)

InfernoChaos

Avast 5 blocking/closing my MSN Messenger Constantly
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:59 PM »
First I just wanted to say that I love Avast and have been a user of it for almost 4 years now. beforehand I used to use the likes of McAfee & Norton which were horrible and when I was told of Avast I was pleasantly surprised to see such an amazing Anti-Virus that was free no less!

I even went through that whole debacle months ago where Avast thought everything was a virus and kept blocking them off, but despite that I stuck with it even until now.

So here's my issue: Ever since I updated my old Avast 4.8 to Avast 5, my MSN Messenger no longer seems to work or stay on. For example I would turn on the program, it would log me in for like 2-3 seconds then immediately be shut off after. I am sure this issue comes from Avast as that day Avast was the only thing I downloaded and it happened right after I had to reboot to fully install my Avast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Avast 5 blocking/closing my MSN Messenger Constantly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
beforehand I used to use the likes of McAfee & Norton
did you use a removal tool to remove all leftovers after McAfee and Norton?
you can find it here  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

If this does not help i would do a new clean install,
using avast removal tool and first uninstalling avast 5 reboot then avast 4.8 reboot and install avast 5 again

InfernoChaos

Re: Avast 5 blocking/closing my MSN Messenger Constantly
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »
beforehand I used to use the likes of McAfee & Norton
did you use a removal tool to remove all leftovers after McAfee and Norton?
you can find it here  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

If this does not help i would do a new clean install,
using avast removal tool and first uninstalling avast 5 reboot then avast 4.8 reboot and install avast 5 again

I got rid of those 2 a long time ago.

With the Avast Removal Tool when i used it there were tons of options to choose from and uninstall I didn't know what to choose.

There was on the list:

Avast 4 Home/Professional
Avast 4 Server Edition
BART CD Manager
Avast! for Kerio!
Avast! PDA Edition
Avast! 32
Avast! Managed Client
Avast! Distributed Network Manager
Avast! Windows Home Server Edition
Avast! 5 free/pro/internet security

Out of those I first uninstalled Avast! 5 free/pro/internet security, reboot, then uninstalled Avast 4 Home/Professional.

Rebooted my computer and went on to re-install Avast 5 and it still is deleting my MSN whenever I try to turn it on.