Author Topic: Good Free Anti Spyware Real Time Protection  (Read 14613 times)

Jack421

Good Free Anti Spyware Real Time Protection
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
Whats a good free anti spyware product with real time protection that complements avast. Resolved
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:53:24 AM by Jack421 »

Gargamel360

Hermite15

Re: Good Free Anti Spyware Real Time Protection
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
no need to add anything, Avast integrates a good anti-spyware already.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Hi all...

This is certainly a good program that will compliment any security arrangement but it doesn't run in the background, at least in the way other programs do. In terms of standalone antispyware applications, there is debate as to their affectiveness (although I don't know about Spyware Terminator) but here are the free ones with real time protection...

Windows Defender if you are using Windows XP. Windows Vista and 7 come with this program already included. Or...

Ad-Aware Free

Spybot S&D

Spyware Terminator. Just as a heads up, if you have problems with version 2.7, uninstall it and download version 2.3 here. Be sure to not install the Crawler toolbar. ;)

Hope this helps... :)

Regards...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:17:34 AM by ardvark »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:06 AM »
SpywareBlaster is inert/passive, it doesn't have resident protection.

There aren't that many free anti-spyware applications that provide resident protection, certainly none I would recommend. Some would say windows defender, but I have never used it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:47:16 AM »
Hi DavidR.

One could think of Immunet Protect. Immunet Protect is a free cloud-based security solution that uses the power of community to layer its protections that can be used alongside an existing resident av-solution.
But you know what our avast-moderator, Vlk, thinks about that in-the-cloud product as it uses (parasitically as he considers it) the combined protection of the av solutions of the users in the Immunet Protect Cloud, without doing much to achieve these results. However it could be used as an additional protection layer,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »
Not a lot of use unless you happen to be on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
Hi DavidR.

One could think of Immunet Protect. Immunet Protect is a free cloud-based security solution that uses the power of community to layer its protections that can be used alongside an existing resident av-solution.
But you know what our avast-moderator, Vlk, thinks about that in-the-cloud product as it uses (parasitically as he considers it) the combined protection of the av solutions of the users in the Immunet Protect Cloud, without doing much to achieve these results. However it could be used as an additional protection layer,

polonus

hi Pol,

well first Vlk is a bit more than a mod here, he's Avast lead developer ;) And then my interpretation is that he considered immunet in particular a parasite entity, which I completely agree with. They could be sued for what they're doing, but that's been discussed already, with a lightning fast intervention from an immunet rep when I mentioned it a few months ago ;D
 Other than this, Vlk announced that Avast 5.1 will include cloud features :)

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

Windows Defender if you are using Windows XP. Windows Vista and 7 come with this program already included. Or...
Windows Defender is un-necessary on XP.

Ad-Aware Free
Ad-Aware has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

Spybot S&D
Spybot S&D has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »

Why is that?

Ad-Aware has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

Spybot S&D has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

Perhaps you noticed the comment in my last post, "In terms of standalone antispyware applications, there is debate as to their affectiveness..." The OP asked, I answered. ;)

Regards...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:15:54 PM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »

Why is that?
Please see DavidR's  Reply #4
Some would say windows defender, but I have never used it.
I value DavidR's advice.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
I also have turned WD real-time protection off. I just don't see any need for it, avast!'s detection rates are really high these days(also on the spyware front) not to mention WD doesn't get all the malware signatures like MSE does(only anti-spyware). I only do a manual scan with it every now and then but i rely more on MBAM for that.

Jack421

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:54 AM »
What about threat fire is that compatible with avast looks like a good complement to avast. I choose avast because of its rootkit scan detection in its boot time scan, however Microsoft Security essentials seems to be beating avast. I don't know for some reason I have prefered avast, I found the user interface more tech.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
The forum search function is an often underused resource ;D

Many such posts.

ardvark