Author Topic: Problems With Login  (Read 4727 times)

BobbyZee67

Problems With Login
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
 ??? Hi,
     I'm having a little bit of bother regarding passwords! When I tried to login a short time ago with my usual
     password,I was unable to even though I hadn't forgotten it.
     I decided to click on "have forgotten password" and went through the process of setting a new one, which was
     successful and I was duly able to login.

I thought I would modify my profile settings but here again I ran into problems and I'm wondering if there's
     something I'm not doing right. As I see it, I have to create another new password in order to modify account,
     and then enter my login password prior to clicking on save/submit, I'd be grateful for any help and advice on
     whatever it is that I'm not doing right.

Many thanks,
     BobbyZee67

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems With Login
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:38 AM »
I don't know about your password issue.

But as for modifying your profile you need to have 20 posts to modify certain areas in the profile section.

- You need 20 posts to be able to use the PM function:
The problem comes from drive by spammers, who having registered put objectionable or commercial links in their profile signature to try and gain link promotion, etc.

There have also been cases of the PM function being abused to spam forum members, so you will notice that you can't use the PM function either.

Unfortunately because of the actions of others legitimate members suffer by the actions to prevent this spamming.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BobbyZee67

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:54 AM »
 8  Many thanks David for your reply and I now understand why I could not modify profile. I actually wanted to create
    a "signature" owing to the fact that I have read quite a few posts where the moderator has requested the person
    initiating a post to create a signature.

I'm still puzzled with the login password problem though, I had been logging in with that password for about six
    months with no problems. I know I forgot to logout on one occasion, whether this could possibly be a reason I
    don't know!

Again, many thanks.

BobbyZee67

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »
You're welcome.

Not many posts to go then, in the meantime you could create your signature information (similar format to mine) in a text editor (notepad, etc.) on a single line and save the file. If you need it in the post, you can copy and paste it, saves typing it every time. As and when you get to 20 posts you can copy and paste the contents into the signature section of your profile.

Logging out or not shouldn't be an issue, I never log out. It might just have been a hiccup (unless it continues to happen), I believe it uses a cookie to save you from having to log on every time, so ensure that you allow cookies for avast.com.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:42 AM »
It must have been a hiccup, because I never allow cookies.

@ BobbyZee67, let us know if it happens again.  Also, check the date and time in the upper right corner of the forum screen to see that it is correct.  Thank you.  :)

BobbyZee67

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
  :) Many thanks David/SafeSurf for helpful info.

I use Google Chrome,I'll see if I can allow Forum cookie and see if it makes a difference,though I've been using
     Chrome for a good while now with no probs. The Time setting you mention S/Surf is fine.

Might get to the magic number (20) by next year,I just don't seem to get problems with Avast these days (apart
     from this minor current one),touch wood!!

Cheers,

BobbyZee67

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

It really doesn't take long to get to 20, a little browsing in the General forum and you will find many topics that are of interest and you can contribute. You don't have to have a problem to visit the forums, there is a huge amount of very useful information, not all of it related to avast problems.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Problems With Login
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm glad we could be of help.  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)

BobbyZee67

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »

One last reply to your's SafeSurf, reference the offer of help in the forums. As a relative "newbie" of a couple of
   years,I have been an Avast user for most of that time apart from a short time with MSE and an even shorter time
   with Avira! I had problems with both,perhaps of my own making,as I was and still am on a learning curve but I tell 
   you what,compared to these other two,the Avast Forum is so much more helpful and friendly!

Thanks alot Guys,

BobbyZee67

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »
You're welcome.

Support is an often forgotten issue when selecting an AV, as when you have problems it is the most important thing.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Problems With Login
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »
Thank you BobbyZee67.  :)  It's nice to get a compliment, but we are here to help everyone no matter what skill level or problem they have.  Thank you again.