Author Topic: Pirate English?  (Read 30676 times)

g0dsends

Re: Pirate English?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »
i read it i didnt think avast pro was hijacked
it clearly said pirate day as in the language lol :)

good bit of fun  ::) :P ;D

georgermct

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »
Did you not bother to read the information on the page, if you clicked the avast! News Service about it Pirate Talk, if you did why did you bother to install the language module.

Or are you saying you didn't read it and blindly installed it anyway.

There was no information about this in the blue pop up, just a link to avast.com which could have been a link to a web site with Trojans, viruses or any other type of back door entry into my computer (how would you know).

They have my e-mail address but no one ever got an e-mail explaining all this.

I didn't install anything...I froze everything until I could figure out what was going on...wasting my time for nothing.

iownall555

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
I am not speaking for all links, but wouldn't anyone think avast.com is safe? And besides Avast would probably alert you if it was being infected. I installed it. No viruses or anything.

georgermct

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
Insert Quote
I am not speaking for all links, but wouldn't anyone think avast.com is safe? And besides Avast would probably alert you if it was being infected. I installed it. No viruses or anything.

Dude, you're kidding right? 
Do you know how easy it is to spoof a web address?
If your Avast is "compromised" then it's not going to alert you to anything so hackers can access your computer (without you knowing).
It would be like they are turning your antivirus software off while they run your computer.

Gargamel360

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:47 AM »
Hmmmm....too much coffee for this one, way too high-strung.  

On any other software, a pop-up mentioning Talk like a Pirate Day might be strange.......

But this software is named Avast!....... ::).......(you DO get it, right?)
I mean, cmon, what this comes down too, from what I see, is your idea that this is not the place/time/software genre for ANY kind of jokes.

You made that point already, is there something else you needed?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
George,

I completely understand your concerns about the unexpected popup, and I even understand your frustration about the whole idea of "pirate language pack". Please be assured that this little exercise doesn't have any effect on avast's ability to protect your system (the virus lab team didn't have anything in common with this). It was just an attempt to make the product little bit more "human-friendly".

Please accept our apologies and let me hope that this incident will not discourage or turn you down from trusting avast to protect your system(s) in the future.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

georgermct

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
George,

I completely understand your concerns about the unexpected pop up, and I even understand your frustration about the whole idea of "pirate language pack". Please be assured that this little exercise doesn't have any effect on avast's ability to protect your system (the virus lab team didn't have anything in common with this). It was just an attempt to make the product little bit more "human-friendly".

Please accept our apologies and let me hope that this incident will not discourage or turn you down from trusting avast to protect your system(s) in the future.

Thanks
Vlk

I think everyone is missing the point I'm trying to make.
When you see something that isn't acting the way it should...you question it...is it real?  Did someone take over my Avast software and penetrate my computer?  Why would a serious security company make fun of it's own product?  It doesn't make any sense.  So I had to stop what I was doing and investigate this matter.  Only to find out it was Avast trying to be cute.  That totally wasted my time and worry over something so NOT IMPORTANT!

Why do something so reckless?

georgermct

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
Hmmmm....too much coffee for this one, way too high-strung. 

On any other software, a pop-up mentioning Talk like a Pirate Day might be strange.......

But this software is named Avast!....... .......(you DO get it, right?)
I mean, cmon, what this comes down too, from what I see, is your idea that this is not the place/time/software genre for ANY kind of jokes.

You made that point already, is there something else you needed?

No I never questioned why any company names it's products...I don't care.

I just want it to work...WORRY FREE.

And you're 100% on the money when you say I don't think "this is not the place/time/software genre for ANY kind of jokes".

When it comes to computer safety...antivirus software isn't fun...it's serious work.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
Will the Pirate English Language be still be a language that people can install after the 19th of this month?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

WhiteZero

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
Love it. Thanks Avast team!  :)

faust

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »
I have to agree with George.

While I appreciate the desire to make the product more "human friendly", this idea was poorly thought out, and, given the bug that has actually caused people to have to reinstall their AV, horribly executed.

Stick with your core competency.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 06:32:02 AM »
Who's the moron that came up with this STUPID idea? >:(

I thought my Avast was hijacked! 

You DON'T fool around and play "cute" when you job is securing millions of computers.

This is the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen in computer software.  Even Microsoft wouldn't pull a stunt like this.

Can I be the first in line to smack the guy silly for thinking and following through with this act?

Avast just do your job and secure my computer...don't start pulling this crap about trying to be cute or cool...WTF?
Maybe you should get a sense of humour. What a tosser  ;D

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
Well, I went for it. What the heck.

Now I have to wait to hear it. :)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:34 AM »

Do a quick scan an you'll here it sooner.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »

Do a quick scan and you'll hear it sooner.

I just double clicked the files. I don't use the scan complete sound. Drives me nuts during screensaver scan.
printed on 100% recycled bytes