Author Topic: Problem with Outlook and Avast  (Read 22423 times)

Le Boule

Re: Problem with Outlook and Avast
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »
Outlook is working fine with the fix recommended by jdhatpha.  Again, my concern is what will happen if I change AV programs on this computer.  I've already tested it without Avast 5 installed and the secondary account gives me the "The add in C:\Program Files\Alwill Software|Avast4\ashOutxt.dll could not be installed or loaded" message when I open Outlook (without Avast on the system).  In other words the fix is a workaround as long as Avast 5 is installed.

I have used different AV programs and still consider Avast as the best and I don't plan to use a different AV on this desktop...but in all honesty I would be reluctant right now to recommend Avast 5 to anyone who uses Outlook.

Perhaps K.U.R.T. and his group can come up with a permanent fix in a future build.

Again, thanks for the interest you have all shown in helping me resolve this "glitch."   

k.u.r.t

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »
Glad you have the knowledge to work in the registry, K.U.R.T.  However, I avoid doing anything in the registry whenever possible...with my luck I'll need an eraser and I don't think they work  good in there.   ;D 

Please find attached the file that will carry out what I recommended for you. Just save it to your computer, rename it so that it has .reg extension rather than .txt and double click it. As many of you pointed out, the extend.dat file often gets corrupted or out of sync with the registry. To resolve this issue you need to turn off outlook (ensure it is not running in task manager and kill it if necessary). Once you have outlook out of your way just run the following command:

del "%userprofile%\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\extend.dat"

Note this will only delete the file for the current user, so if there are other users sharing the same computer they will need to run the same command. Outlook will recreate the extend.dat file from the registry next time it starts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
Thanks k.u.r.t. for the fix, making it somewhat easier if the user isn't happy manually modifying the registry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Le Boule

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
My brother (Allyn on PCQandA Forum) helped me via Crossloop to follow your instructions, k.u.r.t. 

Your fix worked and the new extend.dat file was created first time Outlook 2003 was started on the secondary account.

Thanks for your help.   :)

rmdial

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
Tried the create Avast 4 folder and copy the dll file over without luck. I still do not see how this will work since I am still leaving the dll file in the Avast 5 folder. Enlighten me please.

Thanks in advance.

Momthrone

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
I upgraded to Avast 5 and now have this problem. Have Windows XP and Outlook 2003.  I found and deleted the two extend.dat files.  Now I have a new problem.  When I go to open Outlook, I get the orange MS Plug-in Avast splash, and then immediately Outlook closes (in less than a second). 
Don't know what to do now, thanks for any help.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
can you send me your asoutext.log from c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\alwil software\avast5\log directory?
also have a look whether you can see any RECENT files with .mdmp extension in the same directory. Include these too if they exist.