Author Topic: Can updates be done from the Command Line?  (Read 4024 times)

Mike Buxton

Can updates be done from the Command Line?
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »
Hi zilog and all,

I have just tried using the command line to run the Debian version and it seems hugely faster than using the GUI. Is a big speed increase expected?

To check a particular directory and its sub-directories I type into my console/terminal:
avast path to directory

but I would like to know if there is a command to update before doing that?

My regards

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Can updates be done from the Command Line?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
Hi zilog and all,

I have just tried using the command line to run the Debian version and it seems hugely faster than using the GUI. Is a big speed increase expected?

To check a particular directory and its sub-directories I type into my console/terminal:
avast path to directory

but I would like to know if there is a command to update before doing that?

My regards

As all high-level-language-apostles say, it shouldn't be visible (but we, low-level-defenders, know, that all the C++ crap around wx-widgets or any other portable GUI-framework could cause some speed decrease).

But, in the case of avast, there's quite low interaction between the gui and the scanning core, so the slowdown will be really small and neglectable, if not even invisible.. so the problem will be probably in the switches used (scan fullfiles, packer sets etc.). specify the same scanning properties from the cmdline and the speed should be similar.

regards,
pc

May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Mike Buxton

Re: Can updates be done from the Command Line?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »
Hi zilog,

Thank you for your reply. Since that reply I have done two separate sets of comparable tests (in that the numbers of items and total sizes scanned were identical). In both cases the GUI method has taken some 40% longer than using the Console.

I would still like to know if "daily" updates can be done from the Command Line and, if so, which command to try?

My regards

Added:

I just tried a Quick scan on one of the above tests using the GUI and that was faster than using the Console, but I have no idea if my Console automatically uses Quick, Standard or Thorough (perhaps there is a log to tell me).

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:05:13 PM by Mike Buxton »