Author Topic: AIS Incoming Connection blocking doesn't make sense  (Read 2992 times)

sded

AIS Incoming Connection blocking doesn't make sense
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
See the attachment.  I am using gmail, and getting block messages by AIS in Public mode and the connection shown as inbound.  But in reality the TCP connection is outbound, made by my mail checking client (PopMan), although the data is inbound-TCP outbound connections are bidirectional. So why is it getting block messages?  How do I report this bug?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:36:35 PM by sded »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: AIS Incoming Connection blocking doesn't make sense
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:51:18 AM »
Hi Ed :)

As you know I am no firewall expert. But at Avast, Lukas ( Lukor ) is ;)

Greetz, Erik ( Red ).
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

sded

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:59:44 AM »
Thanks a lot Red, I sent a PM to Lukor.  I spent a fair amount of time worrying about networks and firewalls in past lives, and this just doesn't agree with the way these things usually work.
BTW, AIS doesn't seem to be interfering with my mail checking, just showing blocks on non-existent connection attempts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:05:48 PM by sded »

MasterTB

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
As I can see from your signature you're using Windows 7 and Opera 10.62.
That connection you're seeing is probably the Windows Media Player Network service advertising itself over UNPnP or Opera Unite, in case you have it activated.
I usually disable WMPNetwork service since I don't use it. It's part of what the Windows Home Group activates -whether you use it or not-.
It's a Multicast IP.

Martin.-

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »
@ MasterTB: with all respect, I think sded knows what he's talking about. He's not talking about the muticast IP blocked probably voluntarily, but about the two other POP connections.

edit: correction >>> multicast being blocked in "public mode" is automatic and normal. And again, that's not the point here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:50:01 PM by Logos »

MasterTB

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
@ MasterTB: with all respect, I think sded knows what he's talking about. He's not talking about the muticast IP blocked probably voluntarily, but about the two other POP connections.

edit: correction >>> multicast being blocked in "public mode" is automatic and normal. And again, that's not the point here.

Sorry, part of my post is missing.
I was also asking if he uses IMAP or POP3 because he doesn't say and it could help clarify the issue.
Also I was going to ask if he can receive and send mails normally despite those blocks on the logs.
Also the direction of the connection is marked as IN on the logs.. the OP says "But in reality the TCP connection is outbound, made by my mail checking client (PopMan)" and it doesn't seem that way from the logs.
Sorry again for the confusion.

Martin.-
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:29:56 PM by MasterTB »