Author Topic: Avast 5 blocks intenet access, why?  (Read 10147 times)

Gargamel360

Re: Avast 5 blocks intenet access, why?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:55 AM »
See here. With Avira, problem exists. Without Avira, problems exists. Either you've got some deep hatred for Avira or you honestly think its the fault of 2 AVs existsing ni harmony. the fact that WITHOUT Avira, the problem persists should say something.

I have no idea what the source of your problem is.  As I said, the process involves starting with the most likely culprit, then move down the list.  A conflict between Avira and Avast! is the start.  This is neither programs fault, it is just the way things are,  I have not a bad opinion of Avira, I have no opinion, as I have never used it.

I see what you mean by having already removed it, to the same effect, that you do not want to repeat unneeded steps.  But the step is needed again, nonetheless.   Honestly, your system is likely mucked up with all sorts of remnants. You said first you removed things by restoring a system image, a safe enough thing. But then you mentioned removing them other ways, that leads me to wonder how many times have you done this, then take a system image, carrying remnants with it.

blue_fyre

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 08:34:44 AM »
 I don't keep reimaging. One image lasts me months until I've taken a liking to new stuff and want to include them in my image, then I reinstall Windows. Up till now it seems like I've reinstalled Windows over 40 times (in 3 years). Anyone else want to help me? This not being able to connect is really bothering me. I needed to research something to finish my homework this morning before I went to school but couldn't connect at the last moment so I gotta turn in the assignment late.

Eric March

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
Well, define that «without Avira»! Uninstalling us usually as useless as using additional tools like CCleaner. If,an removal too by Avira themselves may remove it totally.

Next, the mantra not having 2 (or more) anti virus tools… Note: I did not closed that sentence with the word ‹running›.
If you have just the scanner element of an anti virus tool, that shall not bring up problems, except false positive when each one scans the signature file of the other one.
But - it is ridiculous not to use a shield. So one shield and more scanners shall coexist. So, what do you expect from that? Do you surf to bad pages, download silly things and then scan the income files?
A shield is the one to trust. I never need a second scanner to inspect strange files for I know where that file came from. Only when I get a computer to check up for all bad things, the I set in some scanners, and usually MBAM tells me if there is something to repair or to format.

Up till now it seems like I've reinstalled Windows over 40 times (in 3 years).
I'd installed [note: no re- in front of…] XP 2004 and never again (and quitting 98 3 yeras ago on an other machine that day and never again).
So, sorry, to me you crash your OS by what reason ever, an you do attempt to learn (anything) by your mistakes. 2 AV tools are an indicator as well.
I'm quite sure not to be able to help you…

Eric

ziucqea

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Well, I've finally managed to find out what the problem is... (at least for me)
It seems that when I was using a Ramdisk, to which I moved the default temp. folder, for the first few minutes after reboot, avast! cannot read and write data succefully (or smoothly or whatever...). When changing the temp. folder to Windows' default location, it finally stopped blocking websites.
Is there any way in which I can change avast!'s default location of temp folder?

ziucqea

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
@zuiquea;  Ok there seems to have been a few posts lately about similar problems, i.e. the web shield's proxy function not working with browsers.  You want action from the devs?  Think this may be a bug?  Email them. They post on the forums, often leaving their email to see.
And start your own topic on problem.  You have been on this forum long enough now to know you will get nowhere jumping into someone's topic with the "Me too, Me too!!"  routine.
I did it a long time ago, but it hadn't been solved.
Don't you think the topics here are enough for them to realise it may be avast!'s bug or whatever?

MasterTB

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
Hello:

If you really want help with your problem, and for what I read here you have no problem reinstalling windows I will suggest this:
Do a back up of all your files and reinstall a CLEAN image of windows with nothing but your system drivers.
Then install Avast! and see if you have Internet access working properly.
If that is the case, then you'll confirm that there was a remnant of previously uninstalled software causing your problems.
I see that you have used Avira as well as Eset. In my opinion the problem is caused by Eset drivers not being properly uninstalled. Eset uses the Windows Filterng Platform to perform its routing of web traffic and I've seen it cause conflicts with other security software. Avira as well as Avast use proxy's for their web shields and that is probably where things get messed up because no matter how well you clean up when uninstalling security software there's always a chance that something will be left over to cause trouble.

Like has been said before there is never good advice to run 2 AV's at the same time, no matter if at some point you didn't have problems, sooner or later you'll be like you are now, ASKING FOR HELP BECAUSE YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.

If after reinstalling a clean copy of windows you still have problems then It IS a bug and something else should be done but with what you have posted I'm pretty sure that if you follow my advise you'll have your issue fixed in under 30 minutes.

Martin.-