Author Topic: HP ScanJet 3970  (Read 6187 times)

twore

HP ScanJet 3970
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:23:53 AM »
I am a computer tech in a shop in NC. I had a machine that was having some problems with IE script errors and the HP software for a ScanJet 3970. The customer said that he also got a error message saying that his anti virus may be giving him a problem. His anti virus is Avast of course and I have had no complaints about the product untill now. I uninstalled Avast and the errors remained.  

I finally found the fix on Microsofts website and the script errors vanished. The scanner worked great. I then rebooted and checked the scanner again and all was fine. I then loaded Avast and tried the scanner and it couldn't make contact with computer. I uinstalled Avast and the scanner worked fine.
Any thoughts?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:HP ScanJet 3970
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 02:51:07 AM »
More details please. Like:

Waht where the exact errors?
What was the kb number that had the "fix"?
What os?
What version of Avast?
What vps version?
What was saying that the av software could be the problem?

You say "I then loaded Avast........" but you never said you removed/disabled it. What do you mean?

twore

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 02:48:28 PM »
The OS is Win98se.
The version of Avast is the home version.
The script error was line 292 char 4 error expected file//c: program files\hewlett packard\digitalimaging\bbfg\scan.htm.
I will have to post the kb Monday seeing that that information is at work.
as I stated I uninstalled Avast and the scanner worked fine.
I never saw the message about the antivirus causing the problem, the customer told me about that message. I couldn 't see the correlation so I didn't get any more information.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have pushed Avast for about four months now with great results.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 05:24:08 AM »
twore, visit the HP website and make sure you have the latest driver version. its possible it could have already been fixed
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

twore

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 12:59:44 PM »
I spent  about two hours messing around on the HP site. I downloaded and tried the new version of the drivers. I went to the microsoft site and downloaded the new mcds software that HP said would fix the problem. I installed the fix and the results were the same the script errors remained. I searched google and read that the HP support for this error wasn't the best in the world so that is when I went back to the microsoft site and found the KB that fixed the script errors.

stoffell

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 04:38:32 PM »
twore, could you please post the Microsoft KB-number here so we can all have a look in that specific KB ?

twore

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 08:54:19 PM »
I would be glad to. I will post Monday afternoon.

twore

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »
The KB is308260. The download is the first link for Win98 on page 2 under Update or repair the scripting engine. I hope this helps

stoffell

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 08:04:10 AM »
okay, nice.
but it's fixed now? Because I don't think Avast! "caused" these error's, something was corrupt before and for some reason it wasn't obvious before, only after you started using Avast! ..

twore

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 10:41:07 PM »
you are 100% correct.The script errors were caused by another problem. The KB fixed the errors and the scanner worked fine. I then rebooted and checked the scanner again and it worked fine for the second time.
I then loaded avast and tried the scanner and I got a error message that the scanner and the computer couldn't communicate with each other. I then uninstalled Avast and tried the scanner and the scanner worked fine.

stoffell

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 10:46:32 PM »
hm, so no obvious solution yet for being able to run avast..
that damn win98 is bitching ... ;)
no further ideas from me... i gave up on getting win98 to behave properly.. :(