Author Topic: Annoying....  (Read 8573 times)

camper

Annoying....
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:43:38 AM »
I like, I really do like, the notification that my virus definitions have been updated.

But why, oh why, does Avast! feel the need to linger the taskbar notification for so long, oh so long.  It blots out other needed info in the notification area of my screen.

Please make the duration of the notification a configurable parameter.  I promise I won't set it for "nothing".  :)

I do like to see that the definitions have been updated, but only for a second or two.  Not the everlasting amount of time that is currently subjected upon me.

I throw immense amounts of gratitude upon you.

(Important details:  Windows 7 - 64 bit, Windows XP - 32 bit; Avast 5.0.667)

marc-d-l

Re: Annoying....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »
A simple click on the little X takes about a second.Problem solved

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:17:49 AM »
I agree. The duration of popup could easily be cut in half. From what i heard, i think it as Vlk, it's suppose to last for 20 seconds. 10 would be way enough imo.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
The duration of popup could easily be cut in half. From what i heard, i think it as Vlk, it's suppose to last for 20 seconds. 10 would be way enough imo.
+1

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
yeah I agree on this one, popups appear too long just too long. Of course you can always close it manually but it's just sometimes annoying when you're doing something else to get a popup that doesn't seem to go away on its own, especially like in my case when the firewall is set to show newly created rules (on auto-decide mode). I don't mind the popups, just the contrary, but the delay until they disappear is, again, way too long. Shortening that should be no problem as in case someone would absolutely need to re-read a popup message, there's always the option to "show last popup" available from a right click on the tray icon.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:20:55 AM by Logos »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
+2 (or is it +3 ?) ;D

Offline Morro41

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

I agree.
Windows 10 64bit /MSI Z370 Codex Gaming XE Desktop i5-9600K CPU 3.70GHz /16 GB DDR4 Memory /NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Graphics card /256 GB SSD /1TB HDD/External 5 TB WD Elements 25A3 USB Device

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
Either reduce the default pop-up delay or give the ability to change the delay setting in the avast5.ini file.

Of course for those that find it that much of an issue they can disable it, you have the audible update notification anyway, unless of course you haven't disabled that already ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

camper

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »

Unless, of course, in you're hurry to close it, you hit the stick pin instead.   :)

More seriously, when I am in the middle of doing something else on the screen, having to move the mouse over to click on a tiny "X" is not very good.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
Make it configurable... It's not difficult to implement through avast5.ini files...
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:23:32 AM »
Make it configurable... It's not difficult to implement through avast5.ini files...
I wish it was. ;)

norel

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:27 AM »
I remember a lot of people complaining that the notification was too fast in 4.8. I think the new time must be in response to that. But I'd also like to see it configurable, seeing as how everyone has different needs where this is concerned.

Light Archangel

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »
I remember a lot of people complaining that the notification was too fast in 4.8. I think the new time must be in response to that. But I'd also like to see it configurable, seeing as how everyone has different needs where this is concerned.

Totally True! +100

LinData

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
I agree with camper
Configurable popup delay time is a must!
You could do it in 4.8 (via the ini file)
Developers note, please give us this facility back!

Riona19

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 06:00:59 AM »
I always had the problem of it interrupting my online games on full screen, it would literally take me back to desktop view, and I'd find myself dead in the game when I finally return. It also causes some lagging just before the pop-up so I can't even prep myself to move anywhere. I think there should be an option to delay the updates until after a full screen app is in progress.