Author Topic: Another Minor UI Glitch with Updating  (Read 2446 times)

Solemn

Another Minor UI Glitch with Updating
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »
Well here's something I finally decided to post after noting no changes to it since the latest update.  I believe this bug was "introduced" with the update previous to the most recent one (think it was .594?) Anyway it's nothing too crazy, but I did find it a bit annoying from time to time.

Basically if you run a manual update through the "program update" option in the maintenance tab, if everything is already up-to-date this bug can sometimes surface. The progress bar will not even show and almost instantly it will say it's checked and suddenly close the "program update" box there (usually it will show the progress bar, finish up and say definitions are already updated. You click the OK button to achieve the similar effect of closing the box). That always seemed dodgy to me and I wasn't sure if it even checked for an update, so I usually recheck again and it will properly display the whole progress bar and everything instead of suddenly closing up the box. Doing it again later down the line no longer seemed to produce the glitch.  In terms of reproducing this, usually this happens almost all the time when you check the first time manually from a reboot or after avast has updated itself automatically.

SafeSurf

Re: Another Minor UI Glitch with Updating
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
In terms of reproducing this, usually this happens almost all the time when you check the first time manually from a reboot or after avast has updated itself automatically.
It usually takes Avast a few minutes after boot-up for all shields to be up and running.  Then Avast usually checks for updates after booting up, so if you are forcing a manual update, you are going to see the results you getting.

If Avast has just updated itself and then you go to do a manual update, it will not have an update. therefore giving you the results you see.

I do not see this as a glitch/bug, but I think you need to let Avast load itself properly on boot-up.  While it is doing this, go about doing what you normally do on the machine and don't worry about it.  You will see the green pop-up that Avast updated itself as well as hear the lovely woman's voice telling you.  You can always open the GUI to confirm after this.

Solemn

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »
While I see your point I think I probably phrased that badly.  This glitch does not happen if I try immediately after an update has occurred. You could wait a long while, then try doing this for the first time manually and it has the potential to happen.  However, I wasn't sure if this was an intentional thing where it tries to save processing time from unnecessary tries.  As for waiting for avast to load, all the times I have reproduced this avast was not in the process of updating or loading anything heavily (this is not something I suddenly try to interrupt and manually do in the middle of booting in or when it's updating).  Furthermore even if this was the case, my computer's more than capable of loading avast's processes/updates quickly after an update so I'm a bit doubtful that there's a correlation here. 

I guess to clarify, reproducing the issue is usually by doing a manual program update for the first time since you booted in or since you've updated the definitions. Once this passes, doing manual updates again afterward will not produce this effect (so it isn't a timing thing, more like a first use glitch).

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
How do you connect to the Internet?  Broadband, DSL, proxy?

Have you made any changes to you Avast GUI Settings?

What do you have checked off for:
1. Settings > Updates > Update Parameters?
2. Settings > Updates > Proxy Settings? 1st, 2nd, or 3rd box?

What do you have checked off for:
1. Settings > Updates > Troubleshooting > is the last box checked off or not (Load Avast services only after loading other system services)?

Solemn

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:43 AM »
Not quite sure if this is connection related as my internet connection is also fine (it's permanent high speed cable, wired). I believe the update parameters are set to default, including the troubleshooting option there (didn't change anything).  Why I find this particularly isolated to the GUI or something along those lines is because I've done this kind of behaviour multiple times with previous versions prior to the 5.0.594 update and never encountered this. Once that update was released (and the versions afterward) it kept happening. Also, I didn't change any of the options in between those updates either.

EDIT: Just something to note, the ways of "reproducing" this glitch don't always do it 100%. While the chances are often high for it to happen, sometimes this appears to just occur randomly while I do a manual program update. (again this problem never existed prior to the .594 update)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:30:43 AM by Solemn »