Author Topic: BSOD avast5 free  (Read 3739 times)

jprofic

BSOD avast5 free
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
Hello, I have the following problem:
During setup of avast5 free antivirus around stage "Finishing install" (assuming here as I was installing Russian version) OS crashes with BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. After that during every boot this same BSOD repeats. Only booting "previous known good configuration" helps.
Tried to install avast 4.8 home edition with same result: BSOD on every boot.
OS is Windows XP SP2 Russian. This computer had another antivirus running previously (Kaspersky Internet Security 2010), which had expired and was uninstalled. This antivirus worked without any problems.
As possible culprit I can flag:
CryptoPro CSP (crypt module implementing state standard GOST cryptoalgorithm)
ruToken driver (eToken type dongle driver)
I have minidump (88k) and FULL memory dump (around 315M in zip-archive, 0.9G unpacked). Kernel only dump cannot be obtained as computer: hanged, rebooted, showed BSOD but did not write dump. Where can I send them?
If more information is needed, I'll provide what I can.
Thanks in advance.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: BSOD avast5 free
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
send me the minidump to kurtin@avast.com
thanks

jprofic

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:46:51 PM »
E-mail is sent with the link to this thread and the minidump.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »
I've seen this bug before, but I wasn't exactly sure what's wrong there - I'd love to get the memory dump.
Please open our FTP server ftp://ftp.avast.com and navigate to the /incoming folder. Please note that you have write-only rights in this directory, so you will not see any content nor your uploaded file.

jprofic

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:42:43 AM »
Uploaded file AvastDump.zip
Inside is full memory dump and minidump.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:08:21 AM »
thanks for memory dump
it's OS bug (memory overflow), maybe it's fixed in later OSes... CryptoPro loads a dll module and this request is handled by avast, then we ask OS for an additional info, but OS rewrites some portions of memory it doesn't own; we've already seen this problem with other software in past; this will be fixed in next version - for now, please stop behavior blocker, it should help

jprofic

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
Unfortunately disabling Behavior shield did not help.
I tried to install only Standard, Web and Network shields with all other shields disabled, but got same BSOD in "Finishing install" stage. :(
I also found on this PC an unrecognized (and unused) Bluetooth stack which I cannot uninstall: it aborts with some weird error message. Can it be the cause?
Unfortunately I can't uninstall CryptoPro to check if it is the real culprit as owner of this PC has neither installation source nor valid serial key for it.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
Have you tested your memory recently?

I know PK is a programmer and knows better than I do, but if you have other weird problems it could be why.

Give MemtestX86 or Windows Memory Diagnostics a shot if you get some time.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jprofic

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
Yes, I ran memtest86+ on this PC recently: one-two months ago. It did not report any problems.
Moreover there are currently only two problems known to me with it: avast BSOD and Bluetooth stack uninstall. I called message weird because it says something like "Cannot uninstall: file not found" with no mention of filename that cannot be found. This same PC had previously other antivirus solution for one year with no problems.
Thus, I don't think that problem is with hardware.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
Alrighty then.  Just checkin'.

With the bluetooth stack, you might try removing the drivers with the Windows Installer cleanup utility msizap, or maybe even revo uninstaller.  Or are you trying to remove the device drivers from device manager?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
jprofic: could you please send me the new minidump? thanks.

jprofic

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
scythe944: I tried to uninstall from "Add or remove software" applet from "Control panel".
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try if it'll become necessary. I currently would prefer a solution without need to uninstall the Bluetooth stack.

pk: I currently don't have any new MD. I can try to generate some tomorrow. Will the full memory dump be needed?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
oops, I made a mistake - disabling behavior shield will not help.
you need to disable aswsp.sys driver completely: set Start=4 in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\aswSp" (you need to disable self protection in avast settings page -> troubleshoot). This will help you, but it will also disable self-protection and behavior shield. After next program update you can set Start value to the original value.

...or disable "CryptoPro CSP" tool