Author Topic: Repeated alerts for same virus  (Read 44999 times)

BarbeeGee

Repeated alerts for same virus
« on: August 07, 2004, 11:55:51 PM »
OK... read all the Trogen-gen post although they get very confusing with so much input from different people some off topic but here is my question.

My Avast alarm keep going off while I am idle.  I am connected to cable so am always connected.  My mail was closed and so was my Internet.... yet my alarm went off 3 times saying I have a virus.  How can this be?

I did a scan and nothing shows up.   I looked in the chest and the last virus I got was that Trogen-gen and in the chest it should not cause the alarm should it???

I contacted Adelphia, my cable service, and they said there must be a virus still on my computer and that sometimes you have to do more than just delete or put the virus in a chest.

So what do I do?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Repeated alerts for same virus
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 12:07:59 AM »
Files in the chest can't do any harm anymore. You can safely remove the files that are in it.

But what virus is reported?
What version of Avast do you use?
What vps version?
What file(s) are detected as infected (as you say it) again and again?
Where are they located?
Did you disable system restore and rebooted? If so, does the problem still exist?

BarbeeGee

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 12:12:51 AM »
First of all while deleted the Trogen-gen I noticed the time it arrived and it was NOT a repeat but a new virus... which goes completely against what my cable tech told me.  He said you can't get hit with a virus when nothing is open.  I swear to you I was sitting idle with just my desktop up.

Secondly you say:  Did you disable system restore and rebooted? If so, does the problem still exist?

At the bottom the blue " I " was spinning and I instructed it to merge with the regular icon because I have no idea what to do with it... is that disabling?  

I did not reboot.

BarbeeGee

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 12:14:15 AM »
 PS

Therefore I was not accurate saying that Avast was repeatedly sending an alarm for same virus... looks like today I had 3.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 12:19:21 AM »
Please answer the questions I asked so I (we) can give apropiate help. What you have told sofar is not much to go on.

Click on the link in my signature and follow the steps as explained there. After doing so, let us know if you still have a problem or if it has been solved. If you still have a problem after doing so, provide more deetail please.

BarbeeGee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 12:54:41 AM »
But what virus is reported?  Trogen-GenWhat version of Avast do you use? 4.1 Home EditionWhat vps version?  Not sure what that is
What file(s) are detected as infected (as you say it) again and again?  My last post clear it up... it was a new one not an old one again and again
Where are they located? RestoreDid you disable system restore and rebooted?  If so, does the problem still exist? Nothing is happening

I am afraid to do all that stuff with my restore.  If it really needs to be done I will have my son do it.  I'm a bit afraid of screwing my computer up as I'm not a guru.

I was wrong that the Avast was going off again and again for the same virus... I thought it was because it warned me of a virus 2 or 3 times when I wasn't on the Internet and did not have my mail program open.  My computer was idle with only the desk top showing.  My Avast alarm sounded... I was in another room and came running to find a virus.  I deleted the first 2 and then put this one in a chest .   I contacted my cable tech and he said it is impossible to be hit with a virus while idle and not in mail or on the web.

whocares

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 01:03:10 AM »
I contacted my cable tech and he said it is impossible to be hit with a virus while idle and not in mail or on the web.
[/quote
Then your Computer-Tech is being paid too much..

you can get hit with a virus as soon as you're connected to the inet.. and a virus can be detected by avast if it's activated on boot-up...

what we all want to know.. :

the path & filename avast tells you about the infection..
something like
c:\Windows\system32\badvirusfile.exe  or
c:\_RESTORE\gjsctilgen.dll
 or similar..

Please read the link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig and come back with some useful info, e.g.
- path/filename of the infected file
- results of onlinescanners (KAV, RAV, Trend) on the file
- a hijackthis-Log

;)

BarbeeGee

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 01:15:02 AM »
Name:  A0056544.exe      
Original Location:  System Volume Information\_restore {b762f5be-40da-9793-f321c2185d05}\rp381

Virus:  Win32: Trojan-gen {VC}

I don't have that cleaner program.  

I have ZoneAlarm Firewall
I have StopZilla PopUp stopper
I have ADaware

Sorry I'm so computer dumb but I think most of us are or we wouldn't be here asking for help.  Thanks for being so patient.

whocares

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 01:32:32 AM »
hi,

please disable RESTORE and reboot..
a how-to you can find in my "virusRemoval"link

BarbeeGee

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 01:58:16 AM »
OK, but why can't I simply delete the virus from my chest like I did all the rest??

In other words (and I think a lot of people will want to know this)  How do you know when you have to disable system restore and reboot and when can you simple delete the virus from the chest or from the warning screen?

I'll see if I can get someone more adapt at computers to do it tomorrow if it is really necessary.

BarbeeGee

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 03:45:34 AM »
Well I tried to follow those steps and got so confused.

I turned off the restore and downloaded a file from one of the places to scan my file but I can't find where it was downloaded to....  I kept reading and those directions are very hard from a novice to follow.  

Control/Alt/Delete and remove what?   How do I know which to remove.

This has got to be made easier.  Anyone know of a place with directions a dummy like me can follow?

BarbeeGee

Important Question
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 03:54:52 AM »
I went into the chest, highlighted the line with the virus in my restore file, clicked on RESTORE in Avast and got this message:  

Restoring of selected files

Action was completed successfully!

So am I good to go now?

whocares

Re:Important Question
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 04:28:30 AM »

So am I good to go now?

No ...

you maybe just reactivated a virus..

please do a full-scan with avast, and report results..

also reread the "VirusRemoval", and the "User's FAQ"'s in Off-Topic forum..
and post a hijackthis-Log

whocares

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 04:31:44 AM »
OK, but why can't I simply delete the virus from my chest like I did all the rest??

you can of course....
but imho even avast can't remove a file from WIN's _RESTORE folder...

that's why you had to disable restore..

and ask yourself.. is restoring a (formerly deactivated) virus from avast's chest a good idea ?

;)

BarbeeGee

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
OUCH

I thought restore would restore it to what it was...like repair.  

Ok doing a scan.  

Not sure what a hijack is.

These virus spreaders are really making it tough for us
non tech people