Author Topic: does the very slow window boot-up means i have malware?  (Read 21051 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: does the very slow window boot-up means i have malware?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
65 seconds in a slow system is not that bad... sure.
Please, post a screenshot of soluto (see how: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0).
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your yahoo.com email address.

bijspace

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
65 seconds in a slow system is not that bad
65 seconds in a slow system is not that bad... sure.
Please, post a screenshot of soluto (see how: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0).
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).
no  it takes 3 and half minutes for the whole start-up.i have attached the snap-shot

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
bijspace, there is nothing more to do... it's a slow machine... only an upgrade will solve this.
I'm not sure that all the "delayed" applications/services will help as your "post boot" time will be difficult.
This is a machine to keep on most of the time, rebooting only when necessary.
The best things in life are free.

bijspace

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
how can i upgrade the system?
anyways,thank you everybody for your help.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:17:37 PM by bijspace »

CharleyO

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »

Install at least 512 mb more of RAM and upgrade to SP3.

The least a computer with XP should run is at least 1 GB of RAM.

bijspace

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »
okay thanks alot :)

YoKenny

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »
Install at least 512 mb more of RAM and upgrade to SP3.

The least a computer with XP should run is at least 1 GB of RAM.
I upgraded my XP Pro system to 1.5GB RAM but SP3 is a MUST as it provides MANY Security Updates and performance improvements.

bijspace
If you have a pirated version of XP then you will be out of luck. :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »
Lets give the benefit of doubt without making unfounded accusations.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
bijspace, something to try, if you want.
Download CCleaner - the slim version is probably best as it doesn't install a toolbar - (bottom of this page ) and install it.

Open the program and under "tools" click the "startup" tab, and then the button at the bottom right that says "save to textfile", save it to your desktop.

Post the content of the textfile (you can copy and paste it into a forum post, or attach it) and I'll have a look to see if anything else can be trimmed.

As the others have said, getting a bit more RAM is the way to go, but this is something that can help maximise what you have.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bijspace

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
bijspace, something to try, if you want.
Download CCleaner - the slim version is probably best as it doesn't install a toolbar - (bottom of this page ) and install it.

Open the program and under "tools" click the "startup" tab, and then the button at the bottom right that says "save to textfile", save it to your desktop.

Post the content of the textfile (you can copy and paste it into a forum post, or attach it) and I'll have a look to see if anything else can be trimmed.

As the others have said, getting a bit more RAM is the way to go, but this is something that can help maximise what you have.
okay ,i am attaching the file..just so you know ,i have disabled the services Black Vipers suggested,i followed the "safe" one.i'm not surprised that the boot-up took the same amount of time.. :(
but there were services that i didn't see at the black vipers,neither in the application list at black vipers..

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
You do not need Yahoo messenger, Itunes nor Adobe running at start

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
The above programs mentioned by essexboy should be disabled from running at start using the options in each program.

To do that, open each program, and under "tools" (or perhaps in some cases "options") there should exist an option to not have it start with windows.

That should make some difference to the start up time. Not a great deal, but a bit.

I can't actually read the attachment, for some reason a lot of the characters appear as Chinese symbols.

Another startup entry you don't need at start is the one for MS Office 10. "OSA.EXE -b".
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bijspace

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »
No         
Yes   HKCU:Run   ctfmon.exe   C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
No   HKCU:Run   YahooMessenger   "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
No   HKCU:Run   Skype   "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
No   HKCU:Run   YAHOOM~1   "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
Yes   HKLM:Run   avast5   "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
No   HKLM:Run   AdobeARM   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
No   HKLM:Run   Reader_sl   "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
No   HKLM:Run   iTunesHelper   "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
No   HKLM:Run   QTTask   "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
No   HKLM:Run   jusched   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
No   HKLM:Run   realsched   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
No   Startup Common      C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OSA.EXE -b -l
No   Startup User      C:\PROGRA~1\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe -startup

here is which you couldnot read
To do that, open each program, and under "tools" (or perhaps in some cases "options") there should exist an option to not have it start with windows.
i can't find any such options under "tools" of Adobe or Skype

i had already disabled these services through msconfig. i don't know why they are appearing here again ::)
also,i don't see all these programs running in my "services"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:39:50 AM by bijspace »

bijspace

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
hey listen,i scanned my computer with Uniblue registry booster,total registry errors founds are 273.would you like to see the log file?its quite large,though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:59:37 PM by bijspace »