Author Topic: resolved  (Read 8248 times)

stransky

resolved
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:13:36 AM »
hi
i hope ive posted in the correct thread.

pc 4 months old.
current os windows 7 64 bit
avast v5 internet security.

internet connection issuie.
up untill about a week ago i was able to connect to the internet,prior to this i have always had avast and never had any problems.
then out of the blue,cannot connect to the internet, browser IE 8
for a week now i have been trolling these forums looking for a fix..
what i have done.
reset IE
reset settings in IE
system restore
uninstalled avast with avast unistall tool
reinstalled avast
run winsock commands

i have internet connection (obviously)
i have changed no settings that could have caused this,

if i turn the avast websheild off it allows me to get on the internet without any problems.
when the webshield is on and i try to connect to the internet the browser page is blank and it says connecting ..but obviously does not.
when i had avast uninstalled i attempted to connect to the internet and had no issuies connecting to the internet, other than the fact that i had no anti virus at the time of testing that.
i have been through all my avasts settings checking that i havent missed anything,comparing my settings to previous post here from these forums.
could this be the result of a possible update from avast or windows that is causing this????

any help or advice would be greatly appriciated as im now out of answers.
ps i currently have websheild turned off to post this.
thank you

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:09:44 AM by stransky »

SafeSurf

Re: some help please avast v IE8
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
Hello stransky and welcome to the forum.

Current OS:  Win7 64-bit
AIS 5.0.677

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs and trial software?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

You mentioned that you tried the WinSockFix.  Did you use this one for Win7?  http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

Are you able to connect to another browser besides IE with your Web shield on?

Have you tried deleting in the firewall (FW) anything relating to Avast then enabling it again to re-establish itself?  Here is a knowledge article that may help you:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1.

Have you run an Avast scan to check for malware?  If so, which one and was anything detected (specify name and action taken)?

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
AVAST INTERNET SECURITY: try to exclude IE8/other browsers from the Firewall, does that help?

stransky

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
hi and thanks for replying

i have malwarebytes
and windows firewall and avast

i have run a thorough full malware scan and a full system avast scan, nothing found.

prior to the issue iam having this is all i have ever had/used.
i have checked all programs and there are no other conflicts present. ie another anti virus ect
i purchased this edition of avast ,i did not use trial version.
it ran fine for 2 1/2 months up till a week ago.
this is a brand new system 2 1/2 months old, so the only anti virus thats ever been on it is the current v of avast which i installed.

yes i used that exact winsock link

i have swapped today to chrome when i had websheild off to see if it may have been IE causing the problem, but unfortunately i have the exact same Issuie when i turn websheild back on.

yes i have tried it with os firewall turned off

and i also had a very close look at your posted link, and used it to go through pretty much most of the avast settings on my system to cross check but unfortunately it hasn't helped.

and im not sure if i have answered your last question correctly.re scanning.iam suer youll let me know.

one other thing i forgot to mention.

as well as the ie not opening/connecting obviously alot of favorites i have saved also dont work, BUT there are 3 links in my favorites that do work if i click on them,  ??? ???

i am at a lost as to what next, but i do appreciate your time attempting to help.
thank you.

edit thanks for the second post, yes i have excluded IE from firewall(im asuming you are meaning win7 firewall.), ie unticked it,and it still didnt help :'(

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
I need some clarification.  In your first post you said that you are running Avast Internet Security (AIS).  In your last post you said that you are running Windows Firewall (FW).  Are you running both FW's?  What product of Avast do you have

Can you please update MBAM and do a Quick Scan and post (cut and paste) your log in this thread?  Based on that, I will give you another diagnostic tool to run.  I will be on the forum later.  Thank you.

stransky

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:45:09 AM »
hi
1/
 windows firewall is on-- avast firewall is on-- so i assume the answer to your 1st question is yes.
(i have tried opening internet page, with one of these turned of,then swapped process,ie windows FW off , avast FW on, avast FW off,windows FW on still couldn't connect)

2/
Avast internet security
program version 5.0.677
virus definitions version 101022-1

3/
updated and scanned
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4920

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

23/10/2010 1:35:30 p.m.
mbam-log-2010-10-23 (13-35-30).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 238012
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

also-- just attempting to provide as much info as possible.
i use outlook express 2010
i have no issue accessing/sending emails
but if a email has a hyper link to a web site it will not open unless i stop the webshield

again thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:03:00 AM by stransky »

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Have you tried deleting in the firewall (FW) anything relating to Avast then enabling it again to reestablish itself?  Here is a knowledge article that may help you:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1.
Now that I understand you are running AIS and Windows FW, you have mentioned that you have made changes to the Windows FW.  But did you delete and let things re-establish in AIS?  Did you check to see if anything is being blocked in AIS? 

Did you ever have a previous FW on this machine prior to AIS...even a trial version?

MBAM appears fine, which is good.

stransky

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »
hi
i have deleted nothing in AIS
i have never had a previous FW  on this machine prior to AIS, when i purchased pc it had win 7 that is all, the 1st programed i downloaded was AIS.
then malwarebytes

since your last post, i have been into AIS firewall logs
and noticed a page of logged items where its saying action blocked,the remote port number is 443 the repetitive site blocked iam pretty sure is the ie ,as im sure i remember seeing that remote port number in the AIS firewall/network connections.when i had ie8 open

would post a screen shot but not comfortable with doing that, for obvious reasons.went to pm you but realized that isn't an option either. lol :)

cheers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:41:23 PM by stransky »

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Have a look at Snipping Tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

When you want to attach a picture go to Additional Options...

stransky

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18:27 AM »
thanks for that,good tool to use in the future.
paint in xp had similar familiarities.

stransky

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:41:57 AM »
safesurf dont leave me ,lol :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
I'm still here...had an issue to deal with at home so I'm here later than normal.

OK.  Did you unblock the port(s) in AIS?  I need you to carefully go through AIS and see if anything is being blocked (ports, Avast, IE, etc.).  I suggest you re-read the knowledge article link I sent you earlier for AIS.  After making changes in AIS, reboot your machine and let the FW reestablish itself.  Let me know if this resolves your problems.

stransky

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
thanks safesurf, i will play around as im sure its a setting somewhere in firewall application rules.even though every thing looks as per that link you advised me to re read.

will let you know before i take my life // :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
It looks like I just missed you.  Have you tried disabling the firewall only, then reconnecting it to let things reestablish?  You've double checked for ports being blocked?

I will try to find someone else who has more experience with AIS to assist you.  Thank you for being so patient and having a great sense of humor.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
stransky, sorry the thread is too long... could you give me direct answers in order to help me helping you?
Did you use a firewall before avast? Which one?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
Any other security programs that could interfere?
Does the problem occur with any browser?
The best things in life are free.