Author Topic: Avasts Firewall  (Read 3465 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Avasts Firewall
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
wat are your views on avasts firewall and how effective is at being a pure firewall, if i put it into manual mode and turn off the auto decide function, can avast's firewall be comparable to outpost firewall in PURELY firewall capabilities?

and does avasts firewall have SPI?
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Avasts Firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:20:41 AM »
i have another question, wen i put the firewall into ASK mode, does it still use a whitelist of applications? like a set of predefined rules already made for whitelisted applications to work? because im getting alerts for even the most common of applications, like firefox, IE, etc.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »
The firewall (on ask) will only ask you what to do about a program that isn't already on the list of Application Rules.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:20:17 AM »
The firewall (on ask) will only ask you what to do about a program that isn't already on the list of Application Rules.

but is there an internal whitelist so that it creates an application rule once that application is launched with predefined rules (like Outpost Improvenet automatic rule creation)even wen in ask mode?

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 03:28:42 AM »

but is there an internal whitelist so that it creates an application rule once that application is launched with predefined rules (like Outpost Improvenet automatic rule creation)even wen in ask mode?

Yes the firewall does have a whitelist, but it is only used in auto-decide mode. On ask mode, a popup will ask you to either allow or block, and configure the rule for that program yourself. If you plan to keep it on ask mode, I recommend you first set it to auto-decide first for a while, so that all the rules for the programs already on your computer will be set up.

The Dude 321

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
In my opinion there is not better firewall than Comodo. Running Avast free with Comodo is the best option anyone can make.

And there are no conflicts and the two programmes run harmoniously. At the same time, you are getting a free internet security suite.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
@ The Dude 321

You have lots to learn.

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
In my opinion there is not better firewall than Comodo. Running Avast free with Comodo is the best option anyone can make.

And there are no conflicts and the two programmes run harmoniously. At the same time, you are getting a free internet security suite.

useless post... i wasnt asking for ur opinion on other firewalls, just if Avasts is comparable in competence in PURE firewall functionality (no HIPS or any of that s**t)

and a question that no ones been able to answer yet, does avasts firewall have SPI? plus what exactly does "use fast checksums" mean in avasts firewall? could someone further explaint that option

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
still no reply? someone from avast perhaps, can someone answer my question about SPI and the "use fast checksums" option?