Author Topic: Can't Install avast! w/ out Uninstalling eTrust EZ antivirus  (Read 6429 times)

Aphex23

Can't Install avast! w/ out Uninstalling eTrust EZ antivirus
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »
I put this thread in here because from what I've read on other websites eTrust EZ antivirus acts as malware basically when you try to delete it (and I don't know where else it would belong anyways).

Basically it started 3 days ago when avast stopped downloading regular updates due to an error. For whatever reason I uninstalled avast so I could re-install it and see if it would update after that only to find out that I CAN'T download avast, avg, or any other anti-virus program because everytime after download it says I must uninstall eTrust EZ antivirus, gives me the option to uninstall it, I do and it brings up a check list where everything uninstalls successfully EXCEPT:

Removing Etrust EZ Antivirus from ‘right-click’ menus…  FAIL

When I click the uninstall error log it says:

ERROR: unable to open registry key [SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{188C7B14-02ED-BE63-7A31-CE75523FF1FB}\InprocServer32] > Context Menus

The same thing happens when I try to remove it from add/remove programs, using CCleaner, trying to install any other antivirus software, etc. I have checked the right-click menu all over and there is nothing by that programs name or variation of that name located anywhere. I've searched my harddrive all over and can't find it anywhere.

I still have malwarebytes and spybot but neither show any virus, spyware, or malware of any kind. Here is the log from malwarebytes, not that it shows anything.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4760

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

10/25/2010 6:51:44 PM
mbam-log-2010-10-25 (18-51-44).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 174356
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Any help figuring out how to get rid of this program so I can download avast and have a little virus protection again would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:11:02 AM by Aphex23 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't Install avast! w/ out Uninstalling eTrust EZ antivirus
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »
You can find removal tools here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Aphex23

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »
I tried the first few programs, none of them recognized eTrust EZ antivirus, and it was nowhere in the list... but thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
Is it not called CA eTrust  ?

if so then it is removal tool #08a or #08b

Nez Man

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
Sounds like a pretty stubborn antivirus. I'd recommend you to do the following:

1 - Download and install Revo Uninstaller.

2 - Open Revo Uninstaller and look for eTrust EZ antivirus.

3 - Once you've found the antivirus, click it, click Uninstall, then click Yes in the confirmation window.

4 - Click the Advanced option, then click Next. Revo Uninstaller will attempt to find the antivirus program's uninstaller - if it doesn't find one, don't worry - if it does find one, go through the uninstall process.

5 - Continue on with Revo's uninstall processes until you get to the end. If at any point you need more help going through Revo's uninstall processes, give me a shout. ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:34:59 PM by Naean »

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
Aphex23,

Your software is called CA eTrust EZ antivirus.  It is no longer being supported or made, but you can still download it from a few places.

To uninstall it, you can either use the Add/Remove Programs > Reboot, although remnants will be left behind.  Or I suggest you go with what Naean suggested and use Revo based on the research I did from the difficulty others have had in trying to remove this program.  After uninstalling, make sure you reboot your machine.

NOTE:  You should NOT use Revo for uninstalling Avast; you would use the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool for this purpose.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.