Author Topic: Cannot run/install Windows Update  (Read 12595 times)

drohr

Cannot run/install Windows Update
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »
Windows 7 32 bit
After installing Avast Internet Security i noticed that i cannot update Windows any longer ... Can somebody give me a hand?

SafeSurf

Re: Cannot run/install Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Hello drohr and welcome to the forum.  :)

Did you reboot after installing?

Did you register your Avast IS and update the definitions?

Did you check to see if anything in the firewall is being blocked? 

Here is some information that may help you: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

drohr

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
Hello drohr and welcome to the forum.  :)

Did you reboot after installing?

Did you register your Avast IS and update the definitions?

Did you check to see if anything in the firewall is being blocked? 

Here is some information that may help you: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

I think all i need to do i add the servers to the firewall settings ... I am used to 4.8 ... Need somebody to guide me on how to add the Windows servers to the "exceptions list".

The program updates fine ... Just since i installed version 5 i CANNOT successfully install any Windows updates .. nobody else have that problem?

drohr

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
Oh ... this is what the error says it's about :

If you receive Windows Update error 80072ee2 while checking for updates, you might need to add the website addresses from which Windows Update downloads updates to your firewall exceptions or "allow" list.

Windows Firewall ships with this version of Windows and should already include these sites in the exceptions list. If you use a different firewall, check the information that came with the software to see how to add these websites to your firewall exceptions list:

http://*.update.microsoft.com

https://*.update.microsoft.com

drohr

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:52:15 AM »
Jesus Christ! IF i am going through this, I am positively sure that others are too. Isn't this software BETA tested? Now i have to go through all this crap just to get my Windows Updates? Wow guys. Unless i see something that a user can easily fix without calling us tech people then I will have to remove this from our machines. Kinda sucks. I like it ... and this isn't a positive thing to show my boss to buy it for other machines. Like Windows Firewall - shouldn't there be a user friendly dialog box to add a site?

There has to be a different solution or i am forced to NOT use this software. It generates support calls.

Is this forum even moderated by Avast at all or is it just us users?

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »
@ drohr,

I'm sorry that I have not been here and other Evang. have not picked up in the meantime.  To answer your question above, no, you should not have to go through the steps outlined by the poster above.

Questions: 
1. Do you also have your Windows FW on or off while using AIS (Avast IS)?
2. What previous Firewalls (FW) and Antivirus (AV) did you have on this machine?

Check to make sure that MS Updates are automatically trusted/allowed in your FW.  If not, change the setting so it is trusted/allowed.

drohr

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:06:29 AM »
Previously i used Avast 4.8 Pro ...

Ever since i installed Avast Anti virus & Internet Security 5.0.492 i cannot do windows update. I uninstalled it. I still cannot do Windows update and now i find for some reason i cannot even use Windows Media Player. Don't know why. It all worked before i installed Avast. That is the only thing i installed besides games... Fallout Las Vegas and i have been doing updates since that. After Avast 4.8 forced guys to update to their newer version this is want happens.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
Previously i used Avast 4.8 Pro ...
Ever since i installed Avast Anti virus & Internet Security 5.0.492 i cannot do windows update. I uninstalled it. I still cannot do Windows update and now i find for some reason i cannot even use Windows Media Player.
Sometimes malware can cause MS Updates not to work, and now you are seeing other problems as well.  Please do the following:

Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (blue button) for an on-demand scanner (good to keep as a back up).
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Questions: 
1. When you installed AIS, did you uninstall Avast 4.8 Pro using the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool?
2. The version of AIS you are using is 5.0.492 and not 5.0.677 (the current version)?  Have you been getting Avast updates?
3. What other security software did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs that you have not mentioned?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

drohr

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
Keep in mind that the update i am speaking of is Windows Update ... and WMP won't play ... anyway .. i UNISTALLED version 5 ... Still cannot so a Windows Update. I already was using malwarebytes before installing version 5 ... I am clean of anything .. it is just that i cannot do Windows Update since i installed this... I have a feeling that i need to reinstall Windows. Damnit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
Keep in mind that the update i am speaking of is Windows Update ...

80072ee2: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-80072ee2

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:48:51 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

drohr

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:07:19 AM »
is there an 'alwil' removal tool or uninstall utility? I feel that if i get it all off i might try and re-install it clean.

Anyone?

I still cannot do my Windows Updates OR play anything that wants to open .wmv files (Windows Media Player) This bites.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
- Download the latest version of avast AIS, 5.0.677 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:43:25 AM »
After installing Avast Internet Security i noticed that i cannot update Windows any longer
To add to DavidR's post...you will need to uninstall all previous versions of Avast you had on your machine, including AIS.  Then you can do a clean install of AIS.

drohr

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
That is all wonderful and good... but...

Do you guys still remember?  I CANNOT UPDATE WINDOWS because i installed version 5!!!

I DO NOT have any version of Avast on my system. I am using Norton Internet Security now ..
I still cannot upsate Windows OR use Windows Media Player (says it cannot open and closes)
THIS REALLY SUCKS! Avast really NEEDS to look into this because as much as i liked Avast now i have to tell my clients NOT to use it. AND i feel that i have to re-install Windows 7.

Thanks for the help. and THANKS AVAST! you idiots need to test your software more.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
1. Do you guys still remember?  I CANNOT UPDATE WINDOWS because i installed version 5!!!

See reply #11..!!! ::)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0