Author Topic: "Show last popup message" grayed out  (Read 7840 times)

asenior

"Show last popup message" grayed out
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
Had to uninstall Avast Free (latest version) with the Avast Uninstall tool in Safe Mode due to malfunction of Avast after a restore of my Windows XP to a prior date.

Since then I've tried 3 times to reinstall Avast and every time I get the same message as "show the last popup message" greyed out.  I try updating Avast to see if the grayed out message changes but I don't even know whether it updated the latest virus definitions or not. 

Also when I try to click the whole Avast popup box away, the Avast in the lower toolbar starts flashing and turning orange.

Please advise me what to do next as I certainly don't want to move on to another AV!!

Thank you in advance. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Show last popup message" grayed out
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:42:39 AM »
Have you had any recent avast pop-ups for it to display the last one ?
Have you rebooted recently as that will also clear the cache ?

If you do a manual update you should see the results in the avastUI, see image1.

See image2 - I have had an auto update recently so the Show last popup message is active (left side of image) and works (left side of image).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

asenior

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:14:20 AM »
Thank you for responding DavidR.

I tried to do a manual update with each install and it wouldn't change the gray message of an update.  After the last (4th) install, Avast updated AUTOMATICALLY and since then the "show the last update" message is not grayed out anymore.  So that seems to have been the problem although I never experienced this with my first install quite some months ago.  Yes, I rebooted every time and also used CCleaner.  Followed Avast's uninstall instructions to the letter.

I still have the problem that when right click on Avast Icon, the message box appears and I HAVE to click on one of the options otherwise the box will stay.  Previously I just had to give a side click anywhere near it and the message box would go away.  Have no clue what the problem could be.  

I was also unpleasantly surprised to find that I could not do a custom install as with a previous Avast version, even though it says it offers one by saying "standard" or "custom".  Now my machine is really slow with all shield installed although I don't use at least 2 of them.  Previously I only had chosen Web Shield, Network Shield, Mail and Behavior Shield.  Now it doesn't offer a choice anymore from what I can see, unless it's somewhere buried there.

Thank you again!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:18:50 AM by asenior »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
As far as I'm aware you are still able to do a custom install, changing install location and elements, etc..

There is nothing to stop you going back in and uninstalling components that aren't used. Windows add remove programs, Avast, Change/Remove, this opens another window and you click the Change option. You now have the various elements of avast with can be unchecked and OK your way out.

I would however, suggest that the minimum would be File System Shield, Web Shield, Network Shield, Mail and Behaviour Shields.

It doesn't matter if you have all shields installed as if they aren't scanning anything then it wouldn't be using any CPU resources over and above a minimal amount of RAM. If you aren't using an application P2P or Instant Messaging, then the associated shields would be dormant.

Avast5 is lighter on resources than avast 4.8, so what are your system specs, RAM and CPU ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

asenior

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:17:32 AM »
Thank you DavidR!!

Did as you suggested in the Add/Remove Programs and unticked IM and P2P.  Of course rebooted after that.  Browsing still slower than previously.

Strangely enough, after doing the above the "show last popup message" is grayed out again.  Will wait until I get an automatic update.  

Strange, when I right click properties on the desktop and go through some motions there and click OK, it makes the pulled up Avast! message box disappear.  As I said before, the box won't go away without having to click on a message which takes me to the GUI.  

Dell Dimension 4600i, XP Home, SP3, IE7, P4, 2.5 GB - Machine is 6 years "old".    

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:20:26 AM by asenior »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:14:26 AM »
You're welcome.

After a reboot it is going to be greyed out as there is no history retained of the last pop-up and it is only for those pop-ups that appeared at the bottom right of the screen.

There are some others, my left included who see the right click menu remain if you do as you say, e.g. right click, yet don't make an active selection. I personally don't see it as anything that bothers me as under normal circumstances you aren't going to be right clicking on the icon without making a selection; other than has been mentioned to display the last popup, but for me when I do that I know there will be one.

Whilst selecting another similar menu function such as the desktop properties I believe would kill the avast menu as it probably takes focus away from it, but that doesn't work on mine.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

Dell Dimension 4600i, XP Home, SP3, IE7, P4, 2.5 GB - Machine is 6 years "old".  

It would be good to update to IE8 as it is much better and is the basis for Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). It is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
As YoKenny said, IE 8 is much safer and more secure.

However,  right now there is a vulnerability in the wild in IE 6 thru 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2458511.mspx

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=9874

CVSS Base: 9.3
Exploit code: publicly-available
Workarounds: available, DEP, EMET, and CSS-override.
Patches: unavailable
IDS signatures: pending

IE9 is not affected, but cannot be installed on WinXP.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

asenior

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
After a reboot it is going to be greyed out as there is no history retained of the last pop-up and it is only for those pop-ups that appeared at the bottom right of the screen.
Good to know since I wasn't aware of that.

There are some others, my left included who see the right click menu remain if you do as you say, e.g. right click, yet don't make an active selection. I personally don't see it as anything that bothers me as under normal circumstances you aren't going to be right clicking on the icon without making a selection; other than has been mentioned to display the last popup, but for me when I do that I know there will be one.
True but since I could click on the menu and clicking it away in the past, now it is cumbersome.

Whilst selecting another similar menu function such as the desktop properties I believe would kill the avast menu as it probably takes focus away from it, but that doesn't work on mine.
Yes, just by right clicking and selecting desk properties and OK will make the Avast! menu disappear. 

Thank you very much DavidR for your excellent help!! 

asenior

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

Dell Dimension 4600i, XP Home, SP3, IE7, P4, 2.5 GB - Machine is 6 years "old".  

It would be good to update to IE8 as it is much better and is the basis for Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). It is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
Thank you but no thanks.  I use IE 7 just for Windows Updates and use Firefox, Pale Moon and Chrome browsers.  
Prior to when IE8 came out I read about it and found that it would install too many features of that browser that I wouldn't like, so I installed a blocker tool for IE8.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:48:26 PM by asenior »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
<snip>
Yes, just by right clicking and selecting desk properties and OK will make the Avast! menu disappear. 

Thank you very much DavidR for your excellent help!! 

You're welcome.

Quote from: asenior
Thank you but no thanks.  I use IE 7 just for Windows Updates and use Firefox, Pale Moon and Chrome browsers. 
Prior to when IE8 came out I read about it and found that it would install too many features of that browser that I wouldn't like, so I installed a blocker tool for IE8.

The problem is that IE is embedded into the OS, it isn't just a browser, many other function (display related) like Windows Explorer folder views, Help files and others. So it is essential that you keep IE up to date or that could allow for exploit of the OS.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
The problem is that IE is embedded into the OS, it isn't just a browser, many other function (display related) like Windows Explorer folder views, Help files and others. So it is essential that you keep IE up to date or that could allow for exploit of the OS.

I agree with DavidR.

Go and read:

asenior

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
Alright guys, I updated to IE 8.  ;)  Proof in the pudding as shown in the pic.  ;)  Luckily I chose the custom settings so I set it up to exactly my preferences.  :) I thought that with Microsoft for what it is, one would have to swallow the whole enchilada!  There was also another reason why I didn't install it when IE8 did come out.  There were many complaints about compatibility and numerous other issues at that time and many went back to IE7.  SpywareBlaster was also an issue then.  I know this because I frequent a help forum.

Perhaps Microsoft did iron out all the issues after it offered IE8.

Thank you all!     

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
You're welcome.