Author Topic: question about avast & eudora  (Read 2779 times)

pinot

question about avast & eudora
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:11:20 PM »
Does Avast4 prevent the ad server that eudora uses from getting ads? I am getting a window that pops up intermittantly from eudora (6.1) that says that it is not getting ads and if this persists I'll have my sponsored version of eudora reverted to eudora lite.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:question about avast & eudora
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 12:23:57 AM »
Hi pinot, welcome to the forums.

avast doesn't stop outbound or inbound traffic (that's a firewall task). A lot depends on how your ads are downloaded, but I assume that they are through the usuall http port 80 ??? So the only thing that avast would do is check for infection in your temporary internet folder, etc.

If they are pulled down some other way through your email server (which I can't see how this can be done), port 25 then there is the possibility that the email account settings need to be checked.

Try the Users FAQ - Mail Protection to confirm your settings are ok.

Let us know if you are still having problems... there are many people using eudora, not sure if they are using the sponsored version though. There is a later version than 6.1 now.

HTH David
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 12:26:22 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:question about avast & eudora
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 01:34:20 AM »
I started suddenly and mysteriously getting the same problem with sponsored-mode Eudora a couple of versions (or sub-versions) back.

It might have been a sheer coincidence of timing, of course, but everything cleared up nicely and returned to normal once I'd submitted a fresh user-profile to Eudora.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent