Author Topic: Avast Home Edition (Free Version)  (Read 5943 times)

BernieLJ

Avast Home Edition (Free Version)
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:43:09 AM »
 I know that I'm not allowed to post defametory comments, so I don't know if this post will show up or not, nor do I know whether or not I'll get "kicked out," but I just wanted to say that I used the AVG Anti-Virus program for around a year or so,until April, 2004, then I noticed that it had stopped virus-scanning without warning.

I then started using the AVAST Anti-Virus program.

I then found out that I needed to download another file, which placed an extra "tab" in the AVG control center called something like "Mail Proxy," and after going to the Mail Proxy tab, I was once again able to set the program up to scan e-mail for viruses.

I was once again using the AVG program, because it scanned the Boot Sector in the DOS mode before loading Windows, but I also was using the AVAST program to scan the entire system once Windows98SE was going.

I think that changing a setting in the AVAST program allowed the Boot Sector to be scanned also, just like the AVG program did, so I was deciding which program to use, when I decided to upgrade to WIN-XP (SP1).

I decided to upgrade to WIN-XP because even though I was able to correct most problems with WIN98SE, like the "shutdown" problem for example, I wasn't able to correct the "memory Leak" problem, and I was tired of rebooting every two hours or so.

Anyway, I upgraded to WIN-XP but had a few problems with it also, like a "shut down" problem for example, but unlike "getting stuck" on the shut down screen in WIN98SE, the computer would reboot, but after upgrading the BIOS, the problem went away, but I also had a problem where I couldn't go to a website when clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail and the computer would keep locking up, so in searching for a solution for that, I found Service Pack 2, and now I don't have that problem anymore...etc.

Anyway, today I noticed that the AVAST program wasn't "protecting" my system, and like the AVG program, no warning, notification or indication that AVAST wasn't "doing it's job."

That has me slightly upset, and when I try "loading" or "running" AVAST "manually," I get a pop-up that asks me to consider buying the program and also states that I have to have a license key to use AVAST...But that's only "after" I tried running the program manually.

Now maybe the pop-up "appeared," then "disappeared," un-noticed by me, but in any case, I guess that I may have to not run an anti-virus program because I can barely afford Internet access, let alone buy an anti-virus program, but my ISP is "advertising" a "free" anti-virus program, since I'm paying for Broad-band access through a cable-modem, and where instead of using a USB port, I'm using a 10/100 MBPS Ethernet card, which the cable company offered for free, but I had gone to the "computer store" to get that and it appeared as though the "free Ethernet" card wasn't being "advertised," so I may try using that.

Anyway, I feel that both the AVG and AVAST programs are unreliable now...and I used to really like both programs...I just feel that they should give me some warning, and maybe a day or two "advanced" warning, that they're no longer going to be protecting my system, instead of just stopping the protection.

Have a Great Day,
 BernieLJ

Ylap

Re:Avast Home Edition (Free Version)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »
To use avast antivirus Home for free you have only to register online, (  http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG ) and it's absolutelly free. I have used avg and avast too in my old computer with win98Se, but I stayed with avsat. Know I have new computer with XP pro SP1 and all updates and i'm using avast home again. I can say what i never had problems with it. Also you said that you have upgraded 98 with xp. If you have done it without formatting hd, you need to re-install antivirus, avst too (it's reccomende). Also I don't recomend you to use two antivirus in one computer. avast on Xp has scheduled boot scan If you want to scan system as it hasn't loaded.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:19:01 AM by Ylap »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:25:44 AM »
So in simple words, you did download Avast but did not read the page. If you had done so you would have known how to get the FREE key for Avast home. Without the key Avast is in trial mode, but it is fully functioning.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 02:44:37 PM »
Bernie, wellcome to avast forums  ;)

I think that changing a setting in the AVAST program allowed the Boot Sector to be scanned also, just like the AVG program did, so I was deciding which program to use, when I decided to upgrade to WIN-XP (SP1).

avast allows boot scanning only into Windows 2k/XP because a Windows limitation (not avast).

I decided to upgrade to WIN-XP because even though I was able to correct most problems with WIN98SE, like the "shutdown" problem for example, I wasn't able to correct the "memory Leak" problem, and I was tired of rebooting every two hours or so.

Anyway, I upgraded to WIN-XP but had a few problems with it also, like a "shut down" problem for example, but unlike "getting stuck" on the shut down screen in WIN98SE, the computer would reboot, but after upgrading the BIOS, the problem went away, but I also had a problem where I couldn't go to a website when clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail and the computer would keep locking up, so in searching for a solution for that, I found Service Pack 2, and now I don't have that problem anymore...etc.

The majority of Windows XP users assure that it's much, but much, more stable than Windows 98.

Anyway, today I noticed that the AVAST program wasn't "protecting" my system, and like the AVG program, no warning, notification or indication that AVAST wasn't "doing it's job."

That has me slightly upset, and when I try "loading" or "running" AVAST "manually," I get a pop-up that asks me to consider buying the program and also states that I have to have a license key to use AVAST...But that's only "after" I tried running the program manually.

Now maybe the pop-up "appeared," then "disappeared," un-noticed by me, but in any case, I guess that I may have to not run an anti-virus program because I can barely afford Internet access, let alone buy an anti-virus program, but my ISP is "advertising" a "free" anti-virus program

You got the others' answers... just a problem of registration.

Anyway, I feel that both the AVG and AVAST programs are unreliable now...and I used to really like both programs...I just feel that they should give me some warning, and maybe a day or two "advanced" warning, that they're no longer going to be protecting my system, instead of just stopping the protection.

Bernie, I'm almost sure we will have you back soon  ;)
The best things in life are free.