Author Topic: RESOLVED Serious PC issues after loading avast!  (Read 4541 times)

WinstonSmith

RESOLVED Serious PC issues after loading avast!
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
I downloaded what I think was the 30 day trial version to assist with an issue I have with AVG 11 not updating.  I also have Windows XP.  I run Comodo, Superspyware, Spywareblaster, and Malwarebytes all of which revealed no issue with my PC.  I ran a first avast scan, all OK with the scan and no problems were found and all appreared to be in order.  The next day on attempting to log in my PC froze during the log-in window phase, I have since after numerous shut-down re-boots got acess to my home screen, but my whole system freezes up at random times and I have not had access for more than a few (very slow)operating minutes before my PC re-freezes.  I have got access to the CCLeaner Uninstall window but got "access denied" messages when trying to uninstall avg/avast in a rare longer period of operation.  To date I have not been able access the relvant screens to do a system restore due to freezing.  Halp and advice desperately needed ... this feels like a virus but the only download has been avast!!!    
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:10:44 PM by WinstonSmith »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Serious PC issues after loading avast!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
...this feels like a virus but the only download has been avast!!!   

Well, you should have uninstalled AVG before installing avast...! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
and use their removal tool as well:
http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

WinstonSmith

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
I suppose the avg info is nice & clear on the avast site then?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:11:05 PM by WinstonSmith »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
I suppose the avg info is nice & clear on the avast site then?

Sorry, what?

Do you mean that it's ok to post this info on here?

Or are you asking if Avast has instructions like AVG as well? (http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility)

Or maybe you're asking if Avast should have put instructions on their site to tell people to remove their current Anti-Virus program before installing Avast?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:38:20 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:56:24 PM »
I downloaded what I think was the 30 day trial version to assist with an issue I have with AVG 11 not updating.  I also have Windows XP.  I run Comodo, Superspyware, Spywareblaster, and Malwarebytes all of which revealed no issue with my PC.  I ran a first avast scan, all OK with the scan and no problems were found and all appreared to be in order.  The next day on attempting to log in my PC froze during the log-in window phase, I have since after numerous shut-down re-boots got acess to my home screen, but my whole system freezes up at random times and I have not had access for more than a few (very slow)operating minutes before my PC re-freezes.  I have got access to the CCLeaner Uninstall window but got "access denied" messages when trying to uninstall avg/avast in a rare longer period of operation.  To date I have not been able access the relvant screens to do a system restore due to freezing.  Halp and advice desperately needed ... this feels like a virus but the only download has been avast!!!   

If you do regular backups of your system files and registry, always very strongly advised :) try a restore using the the closed date and time before you installed Avast.

WinstonSmith

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
I appreciate the prompt replies, I have managed to remove avg via the removal tool on a usb stick and my PC seems to be OK after 48 hours of hell! :)

Out of interest are there warnings on the Avast site?

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
It is common knowledge that you should not run more than one antivirus (AV) on the same machine at the same time.  Most people when they are done with one software uninstall it, and should do it via the vendor's uninstaller tool (not with a third-party uninstaller software).  Having more than one AV on a machine can create serious conflicts, false positives, and many other problems.  However, we do see people accidentally making mistakes and that is why we are here to help them, fix their problems, and educate them.

Also, make sure Comodo has the AV portion disabled; using the firewall part is fine.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.  Thank you. :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
I appreciate the prompt replies, I have managed to remove avg via the removal tool on a usb stick and my PC seems to be OK after 48 hours of hell! :)

No, there aren't warnings on the avast site, and SafeSurf is correct, it's supposed to be "common knowledge" that running two antivirus programs on one computer at the same time does more damage than one would think, but that assumes that you've read or heard that already.

I do agree that most Anti-Virus companies should let the users know on their website or elsewhere that previous Anti-Virus programs should be removed {FULLY} before installing a new one, including the use of the old A/V's removal tools.

Unfortunately, they don't, so we have these problems, but as long as you come here and ask, we should be able to help you out with any problems that you may have.

Anyway, we're glad your computer is running normally now, and hope it stays that way for a long time...

See ya around!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
Hi WinstonSmith :)

Yes, although it's maybe hard to find :

avast! and other antivirus applications

Should I remove other anti-virus programs (Norton Antivirus, McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky Antivirus etc.) before installing avast!?

Answer

Yes. Using two or more antivirus programs can cause problems and the operating system may become unstable. For many products there is uninstall utility available on vendor's website.

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
I think they should also put it on the download page, and maybe in any emails they send with registration keys as well.

It's a very important step, and I can't tell you how many people have fudged their installs because they didn't know any better.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Serious PC issues after loading avast!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »
WinstonSmith,

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)