Author Topic: [Resolved] Avast 5.0.677 not auto-updating after pc repair  (Read 5790 times)

Libra

[Resolved] Avast 5.0.677 not auto-updating after pc repair
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »
Hi,
After a computer repair which I am told involved updating the bios and WMI (to correct the computer not powering on) and running hardware tests, I noticed yesterday and today that Avast 5.0.677 Free is not auto-updating.   The settings are still set to auto-update, to check every 120 minutes and the computer is always online, but it's not updating.  If I manually tell it to update it does so immediately.

Is there anything I can do to correct this besides removing and reinstalling Avast?  The computer is running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:52:23 AM by Libra »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Avast 5.0.677 not auto-updating after pc repair
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
Check your firewall software and look for avast.setup & AvastUI.exe set them to treat as Web Browser and finally look for AvastSvc.exe set them to treat as Trust Application and your done.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:29:17 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Libra

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:22:07 AM »
Thank you, but I'm not finding Avast in the Windows Firewall at all - I checked in both Vista and Windows 7 in the "allow a program through the Windows Firewall".  Regardless of not being in there, the Vista computer auto-updates fine.

In the Task Manager for both computers I found:

Processes:  AvastUI.exe

Services:  Avast Web
           Avast Antivirus

both services show as running.  Any other thoughts?

Sincerely, Libra

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
I think you better get rid of that stupid window firewall BUT before you do that WAIT until someone who has more experience than me might solve your problem as I don't used Vista and Windows 7 yet soon I will.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Sometimes there are glitches with the updates, and if you try at a later time everything works fine.  Try this first.  If it doesn't work, then see below.

Try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know if this helps.  Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
I doubt that window's firewall would be the problem and you do not need exclusion's in window's firewall for avast either.
Try a repair of avast first as SafeSurf has instructed and if that doesn't fix it you might have to download and save a fresh copy of avast 5.0.677 and the removal tool, uninstall and reboot into safe mode then run the avast uninstaller then reboot again and run ccleaner to get rid of any leftover's, now install you new version.

Libra

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Maybe the repair worked.  I first updated Avast manually this morning, then I went into the admin account and did the repair.  It only showed "mail" (which isn't installed), then it said Product Updated Successfully.

Then the Program Compatibility Assistant came up and said IF the program didn't uninstall correctly try uninstalling using settings compatible with this version of Windows.

Program location: Program Files\Alwill Software\...aswRunDll.exe

My CHOICES WERE:  uninstall using recommended settings
                  This program uninstalled correctly.

I x'd out of it and went into a standard user account.

I ran a quick scan and then realized I didn't reboot the computer.

After rebooting the computer I checked Avast Maintenance and it showed last check for updates 3 minutes ago!  So I'm hoping the repair helped.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
I do not agree with SpeedyPC's advice http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66065.msg557552#msg557552

I agree with craigb's advice.

I have Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

Libra

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
Yes, I followed Craigb's advice and doing the repair corrected the problem.  It's now auto-updating.  Thank you very much for your input. Thank you to Safesurf and craigb also!

Sincerely, Libra

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:30 AM »
Yes, I followed Craigb's advice and doing the repair corrected the problem.  It's now auto-updating.  Thank you very much for your input. Thank you to Safesurf and craigb also!

Sincerely, Libra
That's ok, glad to help where we can  :)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast 5.0.677 not auto-updating after pc repair
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
Libra,

I'm glad everything is working for your now.  :)

Now that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Libra

Re: [Resolved] Avast 5.0.677 not auto-updating after pc repair
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:48 AM »
It's marked Resolved!

Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely, Libra