Author Topic: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update  (Read 12568 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 04:05:50 AM »
Hi David,

okay, this explains everything; I had port 12080 as a remote port not local. And port 443 will be deleted.

No need for ashWebSv.exe or aswWebSv.exe.

Thank you for the useful information.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

somesome11

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
I recently went through the experience of Avast not updating (Win 7, Win firewall). I have Avast on all 5 of my personal PCs, but only the one on my main laptop wouldn't update; the odd thing being, it had updated previously (last update was 11/9). I would recieve the "Avast could not update" popup when I'd start my PC, and going to update manually, it would hang on "iniatializing". I would even disable Windows firewall (even though it had worked previously), but to no avail.

Well, I went and manually update the definitions from here:
http://www.avast.com/download-update

I received a message stating my version was old (I had version 5.0.6) and thus refused to update.

Well, it was at that point I figured the program had become corrupt. I went to uninstall, and it wouldn't uninstall via add/remove programs. So, I downloaded the avast uninstall utility:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
I booted into safe mode, and ran the utility. Upon reboot, I ran CCleaner, just to be on the safe side, downloaded the latest Avast, reinstalled, and now can update! So, it seems somehow Avast became corrupt, no idea how, but figured some others running into the same issue might be helped (this may not help the original poster, but these forums pop up in google search).  ;D

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »
@ bridezilla924,

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.

@ DavidR,  Thank you for your input.  ;)

@ somesome11,  Sometimes a simple Avast "Repair" then reboot is all that is needed rather than go through the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling as you did in your situation.  Perhaps next time come to the forum (or do search on the forum) to ask a question as we are quick to respond to user's needs.  Thank you.  :)

somesome11

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
@SafeSurf, no doubt, I've followed several of the forums on my own troubleshooting, and took the advice that applied to me. Unfortunately, the repair ability wasn't functioning either. But, uninstalling/reinstalling was no trouble, luckily avast installs quite fast, took me all of 5 minutes, figured that'd be a heckuva lot faster than posting and waiting for a response (not that the community hasn't been quick from what I've seen, but troubleshooting is often a lengthy process). Had the reinstall not worked/fixed it, I would have posted (which is actually why I registered today). But, I figured I would give my 2 cents (sorry to hijack the thread at all) since like I said, these pop up in google search (how I orginally came to the forum), and it was relevant to the topic.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
@ bridezilla924,

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.

@ somesome11,  Thank you for your comments.

bridezilla924

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
Hi David,

I want to run this by you before I attempt to reinstall Avast Pro. Is this a inbound rule, local port 12080 and remote port 80?

Outbound rules:

Process name: AvastSvc.exe
Protocol: TCP
Remote Address: Any

Process name: AvastUI.exe

Process name: AVAST.SETUP
Remote Port: 80

Is there anything missing? Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
I don't have any rule set for the avast processes, I have effectively just given them trusted status (Allow All Activity) in my firewall.

I could have it use Custom rules as Outpost Firewall Pro would/should be able to detect from its huge white list of what certain processes do to give a good default setup and modify as needed. But I have never felt the need to do this with the avast processes.

Inbound ports are likely to be very varied and certainly not 12080 as that is the localhost proxy port.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security