Author Topic: Trial Period Cannot be activated  (Read 10732 times)

kad_911

Trial Period Cannot be activated
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
Hello all,
 I just downloaded Avast 5.0.507 and when i tried to install a trial license, it fails.
It gives me an error

THE TRIAL PERIOD COULD NOT BE ACTIVATED.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AND
YOUR PROXY SETTINGS ARE CORRECT.

of course im connected to the internet. And i do not use any proxy. I connect directly to the internet.
In settings>update, I tried setting the proxy settings to Direct/No proxy
but still it occurs. I even tried some free proxies but still the same error comes..

Please help me..
Im using WindowsXP SP3 and I have no active firewall.

Thanx.

SafeSurf

Re: Trial Period Cannot be activated
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
Hello kad_911 and welcome to the forum.

The latest version of Avast is 5.0.677, so by trying to install a trial version that is obsolete (5.0.507) could have been the problem.  Are you sure this is the version you installed?  If you are not using the new version, let me know and I will tell you how to uninstall it and do a clean install of the new version.

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Please turn on your Windows Firewall for protection.  Thank you.

kad_911

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:06:57 PM »
hello, thank you for the reply.
Yes I have version 5.0.507.. I will try to download the latest version.

I've checked the settings you mentioned and all appear to be in order..

Anything else i should know?
Will the add/remove programs do a clean uninstall or will i have to use Aswclear5 ?

kad_911

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
Hello again.

I downloaded and installed Avast Internet Security version 5.0.677.
But still i cannot activate trial mode... Please help me.
Still the same error occurs.

anjobaba

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Hello all,
 I just downloaded Avast 5.0.507 and when i tried to install a trial license, it fails.
It gives me an error

THE TRIAL PERIOD COULD NOT BE ACTIVATED.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AND
YOUR PROXY SETTINGS ARE CORRECT.

of course im connected to the internet. And i do not use any proxy. I connect directly to the internet.
In settings>update, I tried setting the proxy settings to Direct/No proxy
but still it occurs. I even tried some free proxies but still the same error comes..

Please help me..
Im using WindowsXP SP3 and I have no active firewall.

Thanx.

I am in the same situation. I have installed the V.5.0.677
thanks

anjobaba

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:36 PM »

I have always used Avast AV, I am very happy of it so I decided to try and buy (if not have any issue with other software) the entire Internet Protection suite.
but I am in the same situation (Trial Period Cannot be activated).
I have windows xp sp3, and no other firewall installe or any proxy.
I have installed the V.5.0.677

IF CANT SOVE THIS ISUUE I HAVE TO REINSTALL THE FREE HOME AVAST 5. WITH ZONE ALARM. BOTH FREE BUT I DONT LIKE ZONE ALARM ANYMORE DUE SOME ISSUES WITH MY PC. BUT AS PER I CAN SEE NOW ALSO AVAST IS MAKING PROBLEMS....

thanks

Brainfog

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
I am experiencing the same problems with the trial download.  Telling me the trial period has expired and not able to update.  I have version 5.0.677 with windows 7.  No other Fire Wall and connected directly to the internet enabled.  

The message I get is, "The trial period could not be activated.  Please make sure you are connected to the internet and your proxy settings are correct."

/Sarcasm   Obviously, posting to the forum here indicates I'm connected to the internet.   ;D   /Sarcasm

Thanks in advance...

Set all settings to manual update, and still not letting me update.  Getting message, "The license for this product is invalid or has expired." 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:59:42 PM by Brainfog »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »
From the main (summary) page click "register now" during set-up. Try re-installing then register during set-up. Make sure you are installing the latest version.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

pantantrollo

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:34:10 AM »
My English is bad, sorry

I also happens when I do a clean install of 5.0.677 AIS is not activated the trial, saying there is no Internet connection, when it is obvious that if there is :)

Thanks

Wilpower

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 05:53:09 AM »
I had the same issue a week ago and didn't receive any support so simply went back to Freeversion. Maybe your not supposed to try it. Well I won't buy when I can't try.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:12:44 AM »
For all of you having difficulty with the trial of AIS (Avast Internet Security), please read this tutorial and see if you followed these directions during the installation for the TRIAL version: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=566&nav=0,2.

If not, then you will need to uninstall and do a clean install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall AIS at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and follow the above directions for the trial version of AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let me know if this resolves your problems.  Thank you.