Author Topic: Install Google Chrome  (Read 9025 times)

rstellico

Install Google Chrome
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
In installing the free 5 version it was supposed to load Google chrome. But as yet have been unable to find it even with a file search. Have uninstalled and installed twice but still no google chrome. On installing all three times showed installing it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Install Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »
I don't know why it hasn't done so.

Check the avast5 folder and see if you can find a Chrome folder, if present, in that there may be a chrome setup/installation file ?

I don't know if that is the way you can install it or if there would be an option in the avastUI. However, Chrome isn't actually included in the avast installation file, it has to be downloaded (I think that is what that file does) and it could be that your firewall has blocked the download.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rstellico

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »
David thank you. I think you are right. Kind of misleading because when you install avast it asks if you want to install google chrome and make it your default browser. Then I watched as avast downloaded and it showed loading google chrome. after avast installs ,the interface comes up and on it says you chose to install google chrome and have you tried it yet. Then it has a button underneath that says, Try google chrome Now ,but it would never do anything. I checked the files and their was a chrome file (which wouldn't open). It was only 576kb, so that must be just the installer to download Goggle Chrome from the web. But thanks for your input. It just made it sound like it was installing the browser also. :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:12:37 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

twl845

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:35 AM »
David thank you. I think you are right. Kind of misleading because when you install avast it asks if you want to install google chrome and make it your default browser. Then I watched as avast downloaded and it showed loading google chrome. after avast installs ,the interface comes up and on it says you chose to install google chrome and have you tried it yet. Then it has a button underneath that says, Try google chrome Now ,but it would never do anything. I checked the files and their was a chrome file (which wouldn't open). It was only 576kb, so that must be just the installer to download Goggle Chrome from the web. But thanks for your input. It just made it sound like it was installing the browser also. :D
If I remember right, you download the Chrome .exe file to My Downloads or where ever you send your .exe installation files to, and proceed to install it. If your FW is blocking it which I doubt, try putting your FW in learning mode before you start. I see where you are installing Chrome from the Avast! installation where it asks if you want to install it. Why don't you elect NOT to install it, and then install it direct from Google? That might be the problem.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:55:51 AM by twl845 »

Marty H

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
I had the same problem. This is in WinXP Pro with SP3 and nothing else installed except patches, SpywareBlaster and MBAM. I installed Avast Free Antivirus 5.1.889.110120 and it had since upgraded to 6.0.1000.

There is nothing to indicate that Chrome is installed. Nothing happens when I click on "Try Google Chrome now" in avast. This is a bug and a large gap in functionality, usability and the installation process. I usually untick any superfluous extras but this time I thought I'd try out Google Chrome. A bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:19:52 AM by Marty H »

Mele20

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »
What??? Google Chrome is installed with Avast 6? That is INSANE. If true, then THANK GOD my upgrade to ver 6 FAILED in a spectacular manner. I will not try installing it again. I will NEVER use Avast 6 if it has ANYTHING TO DO WITH CHROME. Bad enough that Mozilla sold out years ago to Google and I had block all that crap and block Mozilla.com. I could no longer trust Mozilla after their sellout. Now you are saying Avast has sold out to Google also? UGH.  I have an OLD version of Iron but I can't update it because Google sold all users down the drain cookie wise recently and Iron is refusing to fix the privacy problem.  I won't even update Iron so I certainly would never touch Chrome. It is a terrible browser anyway aside from all the many privacy issues.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
What??? Google Chrome is installed with Avast 6? That is INSANE. If true, then THANK GOD my upgrade to ver 6 FAILED in a spectacular manner. I will not try installing it again. I will NEVER use Avast 6 if it has ANYTHING TO DO WITH CHROME. Bad enough that Mozilla sold out years ago to Google and I had block all that crap and block Mozilla.com. I could no longer trust Mozilla after their sellout. Now you are saying Avast has sold out to Google also? UGH.  I have an OLD version of Iron but I can't update it because Google sold all users down the drain cookie wise recently and Iron is refusing to fix the privacy problem.  I won't even update Iron so I certainly would never touch Chrome. It is a terrible browser anyway aside from all the many privacy issues.
Aren't you on the Avira forum and an Avira user ???
Stick with Avira!  ::)

Mele20

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
I have more than one computer. I've had Avast 5 on Vista ever since it was in beta. I LOVE the Avast 5 GUI (never could get used to 4.8 GUI so I never used Avast more than a few days until the new GUI). I have said here, and at Avira forums many times, that I think the Avast 5 GUI is the best Antivirus GUI I have ever seen.

Having said the above though, in reading more just now about Avast 6, I don't want any of the new features. I just want a great antivirus program. I only use three shields on Avast 5 and I have zero interest in users rating websites. I turned that off in ver 5 and don't want anything that calls home or tries to rate sites in ver 6 either. Plus, I run it on a virtual machine already. I don't need virtualization within a virtual machine! Can I turn that off also?

I just want an ordinary antivirus program with the best detection of all AV out there. No gimmicks. No "fancy" stuff. I want outstanding real time detection as the file is downloaded to disk and that is it. I use the Proxomitron so I cannot use a second web proxy and don't need it anyway as I have Proxo for that. I just need outstanding detection in real time as a file downloads. Earlier this evening, I was playing with some nasties that someone at GRC NG had disguised one very nasty trojan to run piggback on another and he was able to trick a number of AV programs into detecting only the less harmful of the two and the second got through unharmed. So, I tried the tests and Avira passed easily by not being tricked and detecting the piggybacked zip file before it even finished downloading to disk. I didn't have the Vista computer running so I didn't test Avast. But according to VT it failed. It was tricked like McAfee, Microsoft and some others. I must say though that Avast fixed it quickly.

I'd like to use Avast exclusively. However, I have to use Avira because very little gets past Guard and that is not true for Avast or most other AV programs.  Avast would do best to concentrate on its detection not on fluff features.

sded

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
If you install the Pro or AIS version of Avast!, the Safe Zone Browser is based on Chrome at this point.  Don't know what happens if you opt out of all the virtualization features, but you would probably use Free anyway in that case anyway.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Guys, what version of Windows are you using?

Mele20, avast is distributing Google Chrome since v4.8. If you have ever used v5.x then you were most likely offered a Chrome install as well. But of course, it's not forced on the users, there is just an offer screen that is displayed during the installation. BTW here is a 15 months old blog post about it: http://blog.avast.com/2009/12/03/avast-and-google-chrome . No need being so impulsive IMO...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mele20

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Hmmm...I never saw that blog. Thanks for the link. I used ver 5 on Vista all through the beta and the last beta/RC became the release version (I think I recall). I never downloaded ver 5 from Avast website and thus never was offered Chrome. I sort of vaguely recall some discussion on some forum (not sure if it was here) about Chrome and Avast when ver 5 was officially released but I didn't pay much attention because I had been using ver 5 since about the beginning of the beta.

I upgraded yesterday to ver 6 via internal update and encountered a fatal error and had to revert to ver 5. I wasn't offered Chrome during the internal upgrade. So, I guess it is only offered to new users?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
Yes, definitely.
What kind of a fatal error?

Mele20

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
"Fatal" is probably not the right word but later when I googled the error every Vista forum I visited where users had gotten this error NOTHING fixed it except reformatting and a number of users got the error after installing antivirus programs.

I posted about it:http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72550.0

Probably, installing a clean version, instead of internally upgrading, will not encounter that error again. But I am not eager to try it at this time. I will just use version 5.

2nd base

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
That's funny. You won't use Google Chrome yet you "Google" things.

Hey, if you use Gmail, Google reads every single communication you send and receive through it. What do you think about that?

Gotta be careful with blind trust,my friend. Nothing like a piece of software policing your nouns and verbs, huh?

Of course, "It is entirely up to the user"  ;) whether they choose to use it or not..........
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:09:49 PM by 2nd base »