Author Topic: How do I keep avast! from constantly scanning?  (Read 16288 times)

cpcarroll

How do I keep avast! from constantly scanning?
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:03:46 AM »
Hello all. I have been using avast for a few months now with no problems at all. Just yesterday I had to do a re-install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Now for some reason it seems like avast is constantly scanning for something. The icon in my task bar is always "spinning." It never did this until this re-install. Would it be one or more of the real time shields? I thought I have them all checked but I'm pretty sure I did before the re-install too but the tray icon never stayed animated all the time like it does now. I can hear my hard drive "working." What I mean is it sounds like it's being scanned for something non-stop. If it's something like the file system shield or network shield, would it be safe to just turn them off and stick with regularly scheduled virus scans? What are your thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.

swarnava

Re: How do I keep avast! from constantly scanning?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:26:42 AM »
this is not scanning your computer.it is spinning because of avast scan your network traffic even when you downloading anything or you open any webpage, avast scan the encrypted connection

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
I had to do a re-install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Then i guess windows i checking for and downloading all updates again!....and avast will then scan all the net traffic

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:21:12 AM »
Since you re-installed your OS, I'm guessing that you also uninstalled Avast and re-installed this as well.  Did you use the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool to uninstall prior to uninstalling your OS?

Have you changed any of the default settings of Avast?  I would not disable any other other shields at this point.  We need to find out what is causing your problem.

What other security software do you have on your machine currently (firewall, other software)?

Are all your Avast Shields up and running?  Are you using Avast v.5.0.677?  What product are you using (Free, Pro, AIS)?

Have you tried an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Do you have any unnecessary items running at Start Up that you can disable (not delete).?

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Hard drives are continuous working while your computer is open, and you cannot hear that it is working.
Maybe you hear the Heat zinc Fan maintaining the temperature. downloading a windows update sometimes goes high CPU usage
and that things triggered the CPU fan to work.

and check all your system hardware if it is working. system hardware that do not have driver can cause also CPU usage and make you hear the sound like air blowing inside your machine and that is the CPU fan.

Regards!!!!

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
@ bong2x,

It appears that the OP has a new problem since re-installing their system (see quote below).

Now for some reason it seems like avast is constantly scanning for something. The icon in my task bar is always "spinning." It never did this until this re-install.

bong2x

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
if the avast ball is spinning meaning it is will functioning, if the avast ball is stop spinning meaning it is waiting for something or scanning something. (According to my experience)

Edit: I did some observation before try to scan one of your folder, and avast ball will stop spinning.

Regards!!!!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:55:02 AM by bong2x »

norel

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
As others have noted it could be Windows Update updating in the background and Avast will keep scanning until it's done. Or it might be an indexing service like Google Desktop. Avast continually scans every file as it's being indexed. Do you know if your indexing service is turned on?  Or go to Real-Time Shields/File System Shield. In the options for "Scan when opening" and "Scan when writing" look for "Scan all files." If that's checked Avast is gonna scan a lot more than it would with it unchecked. Some people say it's critical to scan everything all the time but I don't have either one checked and I've never had a problem. Use your own discretion.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
I had the same problem with 'something' constantly triggering the scan.  In my case I did the following

Left Click AVAST in system tray
Click statistics.
Click realtime data

Here you will see what was/is being scanned.

In my case the last scanned items were all the same program file xxx.exe that runs very often in the background - (mail sync program).

I then went back to the settings page (or left click avast in system tray again)
clicked active protection, customized file system shield and uncheck Scan programs when executing.

This confirmed the mail sync program was my probem .

I then added an exclusion for this program

Problem solved