Author Topic: 30 Day AvastTrial Versions....Trial Limitations Question  (Read 8730 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
30 Day AvastTrial Versions....Trial Limitations Question
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »
I'm finding the Trial version of AvastAV quite interesting and with all the options and settings etc. 30 days is a fair amount of time.
My question is I would also like to get acquainted with AIS as well. Can a person trial the 2 programs AAV and then AIS at seperate times...30 days for each ???
I'm just asking  :-\
Thanks 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 30 Day AvastTrial Versions....Trial Limitations Question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
I think the trial period is the same, i.e., you can't use two trial periods.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
So I suppose a person could trial one for 15 days and the other for 15 days? :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Well the sensible option would have been to start with the AIS product as that comes with avast 5.0 pro, along with the other modules.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
Yep!  :-\
However it seems everytime I muck with software that has alot of added modules..especially firewalls, sometimes they install and sometimes they don't...the ones that do install...stall everything on reboot ???
For example, tried to install OP FW PRO and process never did get past final stage#5 "Collecting Smartscan data".Went to forum for over a week and with all suggestion simply did not want to meet my OS...but thats a whole different story :P
Attempted New Comodo FW and installed great...but system simply slowed to crawl..couldn't load programs..Well my computers are not the newest and have been to battle more then once ;D
Just thought I would start with the simplest and work up 8)
Thanks DavidR
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:12:39 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline jason7619

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
Hmm....encountered that in OP Pro last summer and it because OA Premium has left some remnants I have to remove manually. Yeah, Comodo made my system crawl as well.

Try AIS first though and see if youll like the firewall. Would love to hear about it from a new user point of view.

Cheers! :)
Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
Hmm....encountered that in OP Pro last summer and it because OA Premium has left some remnants I have to remove manually. Yeah, Comodo made my system crawl as well.

Try AIS first though and see if youll like the firewall. Would love to hear about it from a new user point of view.

Cheers! :)
Would love to give you a preview, for the next week or so I plan to acquaint myself with Avast AV PRO on my Computers. Yeh Firewalls are finiky programs at the best and with my war torn OS's they can be a real headache ???
Right now I'm using an older version of CPF v.2.4(Comodo)and it has by far been the 'BEST'free firewall I've ever used,but then they moved to the new v.3 awhile back with added more sophisticated modules(codes)and thats was it...wood not function on my Computers..either one. So I don't know ahout AIS but I fully intend to give it a shot. I think I have to uninstall Avast AV first before installing AIS...not sure though??
Thanks for your interest ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
BTW am loving AvastAV Pro just fine ;D

Offline jason7619

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
Just had an issue with Outpost Pro WebControl disabled when I updated earlier. I had to exclude Agnitum folders in File System Shield of Avast. Fortunately I can re-enable OP PRo's WebControl via a tweak in it's config. I remember I also had to exclude Comodo with Avira Premium previously...

If you try AIS check out it's performance also at PCFlank / GRCShieldsUP! leaktest. I always test my firewall through both sites for gauging effectiveness. Cheers!
Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »

If you try AIS check out it's performance also at PCFlank / GRCShieldsUP! leaktest. I always test my firewall through both sites for gauging effectiveness. Cheers!
Funny you should mention that,a week ago I uninstall OP FW Free version because it failed the GRC leak test!!! People in the forum suggested I do this...change that key etc. Bull crap a person should never have to change anything on a firewall to pass the simplest of test..the Leak test. I mean all it is, is the test trying to connect with GRC Server via your computer... if you get a box that says "Allow or Deny" and you click deny your firewall Passes..if you get no box and connection is made...Firewall Fails the test..SIMPLE. Well OP Free Failed. I install CPF older version an Whalla got a connection warning box, clicked DENY and Firewall PASSES!

Offline jason7619

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
imho OP Free is weak/outdated. Don't know about the new freeware suite but you can't disable the AV. If you want more punch and  more configurability on a freeware firewall OA I think is the best. Out of the box settings on an XP SP3 machine gave me a True Stealth result 5 out ot 5 tests. OP Pro ver 6 4 out of 5 (had to disable alg.exe and True Stealth 5 out of 5). Comodo was also 4 out of 5 for me), Private firewall 3 out of 5. I use GRC first then correct settings if they are to be corrected and use PCFlank as final checking. Cheers!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »
...Right now I'm using an older version of CPF v.2.4(Comodo)and it has by far been the 'BEST'free firewall I've ever used...

I also use an older version (see sig), because it has everything I need and isn't that bloated... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Just curious ASYN but is it still possible to get a copy of 3.14 anywhere..download link...Insaller Copy?? ;)
If I remember...that's when Comodo stopped working for me..when they moved up to the "new" v.3xx
Would be interesting to try again???
Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »
Just curious ASYN but is it still possible to get a copy of 3.14 anywhere..download link...Insaller Copy?? ;)
If I remember...that's when Comodo stopped working for me..when they moved up to the "new" v.3xx
Would be interesting to try again???
Thanks

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/setups/CIS_Setup_3.14.130099.587_XP_Vista_x32.exe
http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/setups/CIS_Setup_3.14.130099.587_XP_Vista_x64.exe
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
Very cool..thanks ASYN ;)
Not sure it will work though...it was a long time ago. Sure will give it another try.Will take special care doing Clean Uninstall of v.2.4 ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:04:43 PM by schmidthouse »