Author Topic: questions about Avast  (Read 15199 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: questions about Avast
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:41:21 PM »
There is no link scanner as such but webshield checks all sites that you visit for malware and will break the connection if any is found

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
There is no link scanner as such but webshield checks all sites that you visit for malware and will break the connection if any is found
Much better than AVG as well.

This forum has much better support as well.  ;)

brhokla

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »
Hi again,
 I am using XP pro SP3, Pentium(R)D CPU 2.80 GHz, 960 MB of RAM
Mozilla/5.0 Firefox/3.6.12,AVG 2011,Zone Alarm(latest),Spybot S&D(latest). Tea Timer is already disabled, but the rest of Spybot would still conflict?
 I am leaning towards changing to Avast but have not completely decided, it will be alot of uninstalling.
 In the Avast free edition is the safe surf included? According to the product comparison it does not look like it. 
I retrieve my emails from gmail with incredimail, so you are saying I don't need to scan the emails.I don't log into gmail or open emails there, they are opened in incredimail. 
Thanks Bob

Bob,

I was an AVG user myself.  I had the full version of AVG Pro up till May of 2010.  I experienced crashes constantly with Microsoft Outlook during my year using the product.  This crashing was caused by the AVG Email Plugin.  After two months of messing with this shield and sending AVG multiple files after files I grew tired of wasting my time.  AVG offered to make it right by giving me another year of free Pro protection which was nice of them but I decided it just wasn't the way for me to go. My system was ok and it ran ok, fast but not fast enough.  AVG did use quite a bit of resources.

I started researching many different AV companies and their AV products.  I tried Comodo first but grew quickly tired of constantly dealing with the pop-ups I was having and the AV would freeze half way through a scan most of the time.  It just wouldn't work right on my system.  I did however love lots of things about their product.  I then looked at a couple others including Avira and Norton.  After doing some more research I went with Avast Pro figuring I'd take the components of Comodo that i liked, the Firewall and the defense + part and use it alongside Avast Pro 5.  

I have been using Avast Pro 5 for about 6 months now and I can honestly say I have not had one single MS Outlook crash with the Avast Mail Plugin, I have never had a scan freeze and my computer is much faster then it ever was using AVG.  As a matter of fact, I have had NO problems with any of the features of Avast.  I have now matched it with Online Armor as it was discussed in another forum and everybody had very good things to say about it.  I deleted Comodo and installed Online Armor about a week ago.  I have eliminated about 90% of the pop-ups now with OA.  I also use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware occasionally for a backup scan just to see if anything ever gets through and since my install of Avast I have had nothing get onto my system.  

I thought to myself, Does this program even work but then while browsing the web it saved my day from a bad site.  I never have issues with this program like I did with AVG.  I promise you Avast is a great AV product. Maybe not the best at any one thing but overall, does well at everything.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »
In summary, I have not really had system problems or viruses,etc that I know of for years, mainly problems when avg or za has a major update.
Thanks Again :)
Yes I remember a few years back when I did use ZA and how difficult it was to get it gone from my System. Thankfully, with the help of a software developer friend of mine we finally did get it completely gone. Now days there is a ZA Uninstall/Cleanup Utility Tool available(Just Google that)for anyone wanting to make sure all reminents are removed.
I like Avast for a number or reasons especially the "Boot-Time Scan" option. Not only can you shedule a boot-time scan from the Scan options Avast will automatically(if your system is attacked/Viruses recognised)which happened to me once..ask if you wanted to shut down and perform Boot Time scan. If I remember correctly, Avast automaticlly shut down my PC and then rebooted into a scan and with every item detected gave me option on how I wanted to deal with each one..Very Cool.
I think others will mention that SB S&D is out of date and that Malwarebytes is definitely the specialized software program of choice for detecting and removing malware.
Good luck with whatever choice you make ;)
PS...Yeh the support here in this forum is quite good!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »
avast 5.0 Free has fully configurable real time shields. I strongly recommend avast over AVG. avast has been proven to be better during independent blind tests. The real time shields is one thing that sold me. May I suggest downloading and trying avast 5.0 Free and see for yourself. Don't forget to register during set-up...it's simple and free. Another idea is if avast does not work it could be that you might have traces of a former anti-virus on your system which should be cleaned before installing avast. I would recommend WinUtilities Free.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:29:36 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

bobginger

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:06 AM »
brhokla,schmidthouse,
 I have a friend who used to own a ISP business, in about 2005 he recommended AVG,ZA,& Spybot. AS I said all went pretty good.
 The other big problem was when (and I don't remember which was at fault)a ZA update and a Microsoft update conflicted...I lost internet access. I called Microsoft support toll free and they spent over 1 hour on the phone remotely connected to my computer and fixed the issue.
 I agree Spybot may be out of date, but I look on CNET, AVG & ZA get decent reviews and Spybot is like #3 in downloaded anti-spyware.
 I will probably change at some point but I just don't want to open a big can of worms...things are working now.
This is a great forum.
Thanks Bob

bobginger

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »

Yes I remember a few years back when I did use ZA and how difficult it was to get it gone from my System. Thankfully, with the help of a software developer friend of mine we finally did get it completely gone. Now days there is a ZA Uninstall/Cleanup Utility Tool available(Just Google that)for anyone wanting to make sure all reminents are removed.
[end quote]
Sorry I messed this up,Bob

Here is what a ZA forum moderator told me how to remove

Windows 2000/XP

Summary

I need to completely remove ZoneAlarm, or there are remnants of
ZoneAlarm on my system

Solution

If possible, first try to uninstall ZoneAlarm normally from your Start ->
Programs -> ZoneAlarm menu. If this fails, or you want to ensure that all
ZoneAlarm files were removed from the system properly, continue with the
steps below.

Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded first:

http://www.zonealarm.com/trial

01.) Restart your computer
02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
Enter
04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
get a help and support window, close this.
05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
(Recommended)"
09.) Choose Yes to the warning
10.) Click OK
11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
the "Show Files" link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose
Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
> ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
possible.

14.) Close this window
15.) Click Start, My Computer
16.) Double Click the C:
17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose
Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.

21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are
present:

- vsconfig.xml
- vsxml.dll
- vsregexp.dll
- vsdata.dll
- vsdata95.vxd
- vsdatant.sys
- vsmonapi.dll
- vspubapi.dll
- vsinit.dll
- vsutil.dll
- vswmi.dll
- zlcommdb.dll
- zlcomm.dll
- zllictbl.dat
- zpeng24.dll

22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
- Type %temp% and click OK
- Select all of these files and delete them

23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below (Windows XP only).

- Go to Start -> Run
- Type Prefetch and click OK
- Select all of these files and delete them

24.) Remove the necessary registry entries:

*Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause
serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the
need to reinstall it. Please make sure you are able to perform these
deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not
sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the
registry.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your
desktop, click Start -> Run -> and type regedit. Click on Help -> Help
Topics. Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may
be found under the How to... section).

Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it.
You can find this in the same section of the Help files.

To remove the needed registry entries, go to Start -> Run and type in
regedit. Choose OK, and use the folders on the left side of the Registry
Editor window to navigate to the specified directories below. Note that you
will remove the entire folder specified (eg, Zone Labs, vsmon, vsdatant):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant

25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
26.) Restart the computer.
27.) Try to install the latest version again

NOTE - Links to sites other than ZoneAlarm.com are provided for the
convenience of our users. ZoneAlarm does not provide, and is not
responsible for, the content users may find on such sites.

Fairly involved, I'd say.
Bob
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:15:47 AM by bobginger »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
Yep, I think your on to something there! ;)

brhokla

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
Bob,

I was recommended AVG back around 2004 by our companies IT guy.  It was at that time a pretty good AV product but it soon became quite bloated.  I used AVG free since 2005 and then AVG Pro just prior to Avast Pro 5.  I moved from AVG due to the issues I had and the horrible support I received during the issues time period.  It took them two months to get back to me and they only got back when I contacted them back first.  They then wanted all the files, screenshots once again when I already sent them everything 2 months prior.  They never fixed the issue and then doing some research I found many others had this same problem with MS Oulook 2007 and AVG 9.0.  It was already a known issue but yet they had me send them all this stuff and took up hours of my time only to then drop the ball.  The product was ok other than this Email Plugin issue, well it crashed Outlook daily so I can't really say it was OK. 

After reading reviews I found the AVG AV wasn't as strong as many other products out there.  Here is a site that may help you in your decision: http://av-comparatives.org/  AVG is easy to use and I think many people choose it due to the large amounts of downloads it has on download.com.  It does have a huge customer base and I'm sure many people recommend it.  I switched because the support was just not good and the amount of resources it consumed were heavy. I would not have expected the support had I not paid for the Pro version of AVG. I'm very happy I made the switch though to Avast as Avast Pro 5 has been trouble free and I barely ever know it's running. 

I don't get paid to say this, I don't get anything for posting on this site.  I only do because I'm interested in my computers security and helping others.  I also know from experience about AVG.  It was as at one time Great and recommended by a large amount of IT people but it's not the same product it used to be.   Good luck with whatever product you decide to use and if it is AVAST let us know what you think after you have tried it.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:43 AM »
I understand what you are saying..if I understand correctly it really does come down to SUPPORT..I personally believe a software program (especially security software) is only as good as its SUPPORT 8)

bobginger

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 03:11:13 AM »
Hi,
 I hear what you guys are saying and will most likely switch, but I will try to find someone available to help in case I have trouble. The time I lost internet access was bad, people tell me I got lucky when calling Microsoft Support in that a lot of times you have to pay them.   

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 03:27:13 AM »
Hi,
 I hear what you guys are saying and will most likely switch, but I will try to find someone available to help in case I have trouble. The time I lost internet access was bad, people tell me I got lucky when calling Microsoft Support in that a lot of times you have to pay them.   
Yes..Microsift can be expensive...the only time I found them to be NO Charge is if you are having troubles with any Windows Updates..then they can be pretty helpful.
Possibly if you can connect with one of the evangelists here at the forum they may work with you one on one??
In any case goodluck 8)

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
bobginger,

I did find this link should you need it for any other uninstallations like ZA: http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ .

Should you have difficulty uninstalling your current products and trying to install Avast, we do assist you with your other issues.  As mentioned earlier, we are a friendly, responsive forum and try to help you in many ways including giving you suggestions on how to improve your security setup if you like, as well as many other things.  We want to make sure your machine is well secured, working correctly, and you are happy with the end result.  Should you get (or already have) malware, we assist you with malware removal and have a Certified Malware Expert.  Please let us know if we can help you as we are here 24/7.  Thank you.

BTW, there will be new Avast releases coming in the near future, which will be announced here in the forum which will contain additional features without bloating the software. 

bobginger

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:04 AM »
Hi,
 I was looking at your link to uninstallers and did not see a reference to Spybot S&D. I did find this site though, please give feedback http://www.squidoo.com/uninstall_software.
 I have read somewhere that I should undo immunizations before uninstall as well, but Spybot does not mention this on their web page. Spybot does talk about a hidden folder with quarantined files that has to manually deleted.
Thanks Bob

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »
Hi,
 I was looking at your link to uninstallers and did not see a reference to Spybot S&D. I did find this site though, please give feedback http://www.squidoo.com/uninstall_software.
 I have read somewhere that I should undo immunizations before uninstall as well, but Spybot does not mention this on their web page. Spybot does talk about a hidden folder with quarantined files that has to manually deleted.
Thanks Bob
Hi bobginger: I have used "the perfect uninstall" and frankly am not overly impressed. I suppose it could have some use in specific situations however I've read alot of stuff and people have been left with screwed up OS's...Unstable and the like. I totally prefer "JV 16 Power tools " for efficient safe System maintenance and Uninstalling softwaer as well as cleaning up reminence of Uninstalled softwsre...Reg Cleaner and the such. Has work excellent for me...check out the 2010 version...gives a 60 day free trial ;D....2011 version offer 15 daytrial...you do the math ;)