Author Topic: Blue screen shutdown after downloading Avast  (Read 4081 times)

surfin

Blue screen shutdown after downloading Avast
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:12:44 AM »
Please help! Decided to switch from norton to avast and have been experiencing computer shutdowns ever since. I get the blue screen come up long enough to read something about "overrun stacked based buffer." Does anyone have any insight as to why this is suddenly occuring and how it can be fixed? Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Blue screen shutdown after downloading Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
Please help! Decided to switch from norton to avast and have been experiencing computer shutdowns ever since. I get the blue screen come up long enough to read something about "overrun stacked based buffer." Does anyone have any insight as to why this is suddenly occuring and how it can be fixed? Thanks

How did you get rid of Norton..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:45 AM »
Norton at times can be a pig to completely remove and that can cause conflicts with other AV that you install.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
Should you continue to have errors with Symantec/Norton after using their uninstaller, you can do the following:

- Create a restore point.  Go into Safe Mode > Search > All files and folders > Advanced Options (make sure all boxes on the bottom are checked off except case sensitive) > type in the TOP box in the left pane "Symantec" or "Norton" or NAV (Norton Antivirus) > click "Search.  Anything that shows up in the right window pane should be related to Symantec/Norton, but if in doubt, right click it > Properties to see.  If it is part of Symantec/Norton, delete it and put in the Recycle bin, and empty the bin while in Safe Mode.  Reboot.

Tenko

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »
Make sure that you have uninstalled Norton otherwise you will have problems.

Regards,
             Tenko

condor221

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
Confirm. Unless you get every little bit of Norton off your computer, you will have problems. It is a bitch to get rid of and you need the removal tool that someone already recommended.

surfin

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. I originally only used the uninstall option provided by Norton. I will use the recommended software and post an update. cheers.