Author Topic: Scheduled scans? How, Please?  (Read 4697 times)

Daf

Scheduled scans? How, Please?
« on: August 15, 2004, 03:04:54 PM »
Hi,

New user - just bought a years worth and will be glad to get rid of Norton.

I have a question, I did not see anything on this when searching the forums, concerning scheduling scans of my hard drives.

I had been using the Free/Home version but bought the lisence because I had read that scheduled scans are only available in the "Pro" version.

I want to set up a scan to run (example) every Wednesday at 11pm.

I go to the enhanced interface and click on "Scheduler"
I then click on "new"
I name and put description for the new task
but the only options in the "Scheduled Task" section are as follows:
no task
iAVS for VPS
iAVS for Program
Scan: diskette A:

What I don't understand is which of these will scan the hard drives? Isn't iAVS the update program?

And I can't understand why anyone would want to schedule a scan of the floppy drive. : |

I tried setting up a scan of the 2 iAVS optitons but nothing (apparent) happened.

I'm sure I'm just missing something somewhere but I'm a bit baffled.

If someone could run through this for me please I would appreciate it. :)

Thanks
Daf

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Scheduled scans? How, Please?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 03:21:13 PM »
There should be more sections as you can see in the image. I assume you are using XP (home/pro). Where you logged in as ADMINISTRATOR (not as user with admin rights) when you installed Avast? Do you have the correct user/group rights?

btw: Daf is a Dutch car manufacturer. Did you know that? It is short for: van Doorns Aanhangwagen Fabrieken.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 03:22:17 PM by Eddy »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 03:21:20 PM »
The list includes all the task "defined" in avast! (and some special ones, such as iAVS - which makes avast! try to update at given time; iAVS doesn't do any scanning) - so, it should include all the common predefined tasks as well (isn't there something like "Scan: local hard drives" down there, which is probably what you want?)

Of course, you can create your own task - go to the "Tasks" folder, create a new one and specify the options you want (e.g. Local hard disks as the area, configure the sensitivity, packers, report files, actions to do with infected files...) - and use this task for the Scheduler (actually, every task has a "Scheduler" page as well - it displays the schedules for the particular task).

Daf

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 05:38:21 PM »
Ah - okay I see what I was doing wrong... I should have clicked on "Tasks" and set it up there - not scheduler. :)

I have successfully set up a few automated scans so I think all is well now. Thanks for the help! :)

Daf

PS - No - I didn't realize that "Daf" was a dutch auto company. That's interesting. :) For me... it's just short for Daffydd, which is my full first name.

Thanks again!
Daf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 08:50:50 PM »
Ah - okay I see what I was doing wrong... I should have clicked on "Tasks" and set it up there - not scheduler. :)

Actually, both ways should be possible. From the Task folder, you select the task and then set the scheduling options for it. From the Scheduler folder, you set the scheduling options - and one of them is the name of the task to use. If you schedule it one way, the scheduler item will be displayed in the other, and vice versa.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 04:11:21 PM »
Igor, it will be nice if the user could choose for multiply schedule times: once a week + once a kay + etc. Windows Tasks allow this.

Add other possibilities: scan memory, scan startup programs, repair rotine  8)
The best things in life are free.