Author Topic: Multiple e-mail programs  (Read 8603 times)

MLReynolds

Multiple e-mail programs
« on: July 11, 2003, 03:02:17 AM »
On my desktop we use both Outlook Express and Pegasus.

E-mail received through Outlook Express is being scanned just fine, but we can't figure out how to get mail through Pegasus to be scanned as well.

Anyone else been faced with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael

techie101

Re:Multiple e-mail programs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 03:23:26 AM »
ML,

I think you are referring to Pegasus Mail by David Harris.  Pegasus supports the standard operations: SMTP,POP3 and IMAP, as does Avast.

At this time,  Avast does not support multiple SMTP addresses, however, it will scan ALL outgoing email clients provided that you asked it to do so in the Email Wizard.

The Avast Team is completing a list of new features to be included in the next major release of avast.  Please feel free to give comments and/or suggestions of what you'd like to see there. Thanks!

• Support for UPX, BZIP, AsPack and other EXE packers
• Support for ACE, ARC, LHx and other file packers
• Enahanced support for CAB archives (speed optimization!)
Support for multiple smtp servers in the Internet Mail provider
• Enhanced mail heuristics – rules/exceptions (iframe etc.)
• Lightweight support for Windows/MSN Messenger, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, Trillian
• Leightweight support for ActiveSync
• Higher scanning speed on NT/2K/XP by using async IO
• Lower memory consumption of ashServ.exe
• ashMaiSv under NT+ running as a service
• Integrated cleaner for most common worms
• New licensing scheme (.lic files)
• Ability to manipulate running scheduled tasks (pause/stop...)
• Ability to start/stop VRDB generation on-demand
• Minimize page faults in ashServ and ashDisp (performance optimization)

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 03:29:25 AM by techie101 »

MLReynolds

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 03:53:51 AM »
Thank you for your reply. You've answered my question. I will add to the wish list, as you suggested.

Regards,
Michael

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 11:48:52 AM »
Avast mail scanner is able protect multiple e-mail programs now. Look for "Setting up the Mail Protection" in help. Your PMail account should be displayed in Mail Protection Wizard, aren't they ? Or you can configure the protection manually according to help.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 02:35:58 PM »
Avast mail scanner is able protect multiple e-mail programs now. Look for "Setting up the Mail Protection" in help.

I need clarification.  Only recently did the Avast team state in a string that Avast cannot serve multiple SMTPs.
VLK makes reference to this in the "wish list".
I really try not to give out erroneous information to other users.
When did this change?  I guess this bit of info got by me!
I reviewed the Mail Wizard, and still can only input one SMTP address.
Does the automatic protection only exist for supported clients?

Then, for non-supported clients, my answer would be correct?

>:( confused at the moment.

>:(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 03:00:48 PM by techie101 »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 03:19:06 PM »
Avast mail scanner is able to scan mail from multiple mail programs but all outgoing mail from protected accounts will go through one SMTP server. There is no difference between supported and unsupported mail programs.

MLReynolds

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 04:02:17 AM »
Yes, both Outlook Express and Pegasus Mail appear in the setup wizard, and are selected. Yet e-mail in and out of Pegasus is not being scanned. Both programs receive and send through the same SMTP and POP.

It's not a major issue for me right now, but if I can get Avast to scan Pegasus, that would be nice.

Thank you,
Michael REynolds

fhn

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 06:26:01 PM »
If you have multiple email accounts that uses the same incoming and outgoing mail addresses, then Avast will be able to protect these account.  An account with a different incoming and outgoing mail addressses with not be protected.

Translation, Avast currently is capable of protecting one incoming mail POP3 and one outgoing mail SMTP.

F.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 08:08:30 PM »
Translation, Avast currently is capable of protecting one incoming mail POP3 and one outgoing mail SMTP.
Not exactly! Avast is capable of protecting multiple POP3 accounts but only one SMTP account - all this in multiple clients. As the main danger comes from the viruses INCOMING by email (rather than outgoing) this solution is quite safe. We are preparing the support for multiple SMTP accounts into the future versions...

Hope this helps
 Pavel

fhn

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 04:08:32 AM »
My mistake!  Avast does protect more then one pop account.  And there really isn't a need to scan outgoing mail.  However, the manual configuration of the mail is still confusing.  For example, if you have three different pop accounts that you want to scan for incoming virus, then you would check all three accounts.  But when you get to to screen that ask for you to select a pop server, you can only select one.  This is confusing.  The user should be able to configure each pop account separately.

F.

MLReynolds

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 10:44:13 AM »
Okay, I don't mean to drag this out. But;

If all of my e-mail is received by me via the same POP3 account,

and I have correctly configured Avast to scan my inbound mail,

then; why does Outlook Express get scanned, but Pegasus e-mail does not?

Perhaps I've done something incorrect, but I can't imagine what. I've gone through all of the settings several times.

I know that Pegasus isn't getting scanned because I currently have the setting to include the "e-mail scanned" on inbound e-mail, and it appears on Outlook Express but not Pegasus. Also, the Avast Icon on my task bar does not spin like it does when scanning during the receipt through Pegasus, but it does during receipt through Outlook Express, and there is no note in the header of Pegasus indicating Avast has scanned the e-mail, but there is in the Outlook Express e-mail.

I thank all of you for your time and patience.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 08:29:03 PM by MLReynolds »

bmpalmer

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 12:08:38 AM »
  Sounds like Pegasis is not one of the clients that avast configures by itself
You should be able to copy the configured pop and smtp server settings from outlook express into pegasis. :)
Brad