Author Topic: Stupid question...  (Read 9106 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Stupid question...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
Select the 'Move to Chest' option during the boot time scan.

Then try the usual free anti-spyware scanners:

Ad-Aware Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
a-Squared Free
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Vervain

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
Select the 'Move to Chest' option during the boot time scan.

Then try the usual free anti-spyware scanners:

Ad-Aware Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
a-Squared Free
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

OK did that but it still will not fix any of the a fore mentioned problems the blue screen I can handle but not being able to use or reinstall adobe reader is getting bothersome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
OK did that but it still will not fix any of the a fore mentioned problems the blue screen I can handle but not being able to use or reinstall adobe reader is getting bothersome.
If you're having trouble using the Adobe setup, try using Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 1.0, remove the Adobe entry and try again. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml
Also check http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400769
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 11:59:45 AM »
Laurie, right click my computer > properties > advanched > performance > settings
Set it to optimal perfermance. It will not solve the problem but it will make your system run more decent.

If you really want a IM, give Trillian a try. It supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC
It has been a while since I tried it, but back then it was lighter on resources then MSN, YM and others.

Have you checked if it makes a difference if you have the IM provider in Avast! on or off?

Vervain, your problem has nothing to do with this thread, please start a new one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »
If you really want a IM, give Trillian a try.
Avoid the installing third party that come with it, like Ask toolbar.

Pidgin is a free and *clean* IM program for almost all major IM connections.
The best things in life are free.

Vervain

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »
Laurie, right click my computer > properties > advanced > performance > settings
Set it to optimal performance. It will not solve the problem but it will make your system run more decent.

If you really want a IM, give Trillian a try. It supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC
It has been a while since I tried it, but back then it was lighter on resources then MSN, YM and others.

Have you checked if it makes a difference if you have the IM provider in Avast! on or off?

Vervain, your problem has nothing to do with this thread, please start a new one.

I know the adobe has nothing to do with avast sorry for bringing that up but the fact that Avast is not removing the Trojan on my comp has to do with this tread and that is something I need to figure out but thanks anyways.

CharleyO

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »

Hi Vervain -

Please download HijackThis from the link below. Do not download HJT to the desktop but instead download it into it's own folder on the hard drive.

Run the program but do not make any fixes and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted.

OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box.  Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/