Author Topic: [Resolved] Off topic...Help  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[Resolved] Off topic...Help
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
Since I learned Ad-Aware had a conflict with avast I have a few things that I need advice on.
Which is better Super anti-spyware free or Spybot Search and Destroy. I ask because SAS found only tracking coolies and some adware. And Spybot has an immunization capabilities. As I understand it both are good. Are either or both worth downloading? I need your opinions and\or advice...please!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:36:28 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

YoKenny

Re: Off topic...Help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:37:20 AM »
This should be in avast!WEBforum | General Category | General Topics
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1.0

Spybot S&D has not kept up with the times and just like Ad-Aware is not worth the hard disk space it takes up.

Purchase a one time licence for Malwarebytes as it provides realtime malware protection plus Website Blocking, sheduled updates and scans.

With Malwarebytes you will not have to be so paranoid.  ;)

I also recommend WinPatrol Free but I like WinPatrol PLUS that has a one time licence as well
WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Now, using our "Cloud" technology you can benefit from the experience of other WinPatrol users. WinPatrol continues to be the most powerful system monitor for its small memory footprint.
http://www.winpatrol.com

marc-d-l

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:33 AM »
Go with super antispyware and malwarebytes, adaware and spybot are a thing of the past,and a lot of times dont work very well with av's. Been using the 3 of these for a long time and they work great.Never any problems and they do what they are made to do.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
As YoKenny suggested malwarebytes pro is the best option, one time fee of about $24 now i believe, superantispyware only ever find's tracking cookie's and ccleaner does a better job of deleting those without having to reboot, the immunization feature of spybot which is tea timer is also incompatable with avast and is out dated.
You can immunize with spyware blaster or winpatrol.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
I agree with craigb's post.  In addition, you can also "vaccinate" with Panda's USB Vaccine which vaccinates your machine as well as all removable media and drives they are inserted into.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »
As YoKenny suggested malwarebytes pro is the best option, one time fee of about $24 now i believe, superantispyware only ever find's tracking cookie's and ccleaner does a better job of deleting those without having to reboot, the immunization feature of spybot which is tea timer is also incompatable with avast and is out dated.
You can immunize with spyware blaster or winpatrol.
Is just the tea timer that is incompatible with avast or the entire Spybot software? I'm beginning to think all I really need is avast and MBAM. I do not want anything that messes with avast...in any way, shape or form.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
Is just the tea timer that is incompatible with avast or the entire Spybot software? I'm beginning to think all I really need is avast and MBAM. I do not want anything that messes with avast...in any way, shape or form.
The entire Spybot S&D application as it has become as effective as an umbrella in a Hurricane.

Last time I had Spybot S&D on my system Methuselah was a choir boy.  ;)
The name Methuselah is commonly used to refer to any living creature reaching great age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
This should be in avast!WEBforum | General Category | General Topics
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1.0

Spybot S&D has not kept up with the times and just like Ad-Aware is not worth the hard disk space it takes up.

Purchase a one time licence for Malwarebytes as it provides realtime malware protection plus Website Blocking, sheduled updates and scans.

With Malwarebytes you will not have to be so paranoid.  ;)

I also recommend WinPatrol Free but I like WinPatrol PLUS that has a one time licence as well
WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Now, using our "Cloud" technology you can benefit from the experience of other WinPatrol users. WinPatrol continues to be the most powerful system monitor for its small memory footprint.
http://www.winpatrol.com
I'm glad so many people have fun with my "avast" name. Thanks for your input.