Author Topic: Win32:Parite  (Read 8784 times)

kodl

Win32:Parite
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:20:40 AM »
I'm very disappointed...Avast can't protect my machine against Win32:Parite virus, discovered in 2001!!!??? I had to use third party removal tools to repair my computer! WHY? It is not first time I had to do it with non-Avast program. Am I really protected? Even against 9 YEARS OLD VIRUSES?

SafeSurf

Re: Win32:Parite
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Hello kodl and welcome to the forum,

While no software is 100%, I need more information about your system to assist you and answer your question.

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.677? 
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
4.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
5.   Are your MS Updates and software up to date?
6.   Are you using genuine Windows and genuine (non-pirated) software?
7.   Are your Avast definitions up to date?
8.   When you discovered the problem, did you try doing a scan with Avast?  If so, what type of scan(s)?

Was your machine acting strange that prompted you to check for malware?  If so, how long has it been acting strange?  If not, what were you doing when you first discovered something was wrong?

How did you check ("third-party removal tools") for the malware?

Did you quarantine or delete the malware? 

Yes, malware that has been around for years can still infect you...especially depending on your answers to the above questions.  Malware is also changing (mutating), and antivirus detection therefore has to change as well to detect it, so this malware you got may have been a mutated version.  Without more information, I cannot give you that answer.

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Avast definitely IS able to clean Win32:Parite (even v4 can do it)..

kodl

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
Thanx guys for your help. I'm OK now, so... Tried all kind of scans with Avast (IS 677), but after that, problem was still there.
Win 7 x32 Ultimate, fresh installed, LEGAL! Tool named Win32:Parite Remover by f-Secure, disinfected my whole system completely after two passes.
I decide to give Avast one more chance.
Thanx again.
Kodl.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
You don't need a Parite Remover.

Just turn off System Restore and disinfect through a boot-time scan.

You can also use Dr. Web CureIt.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:22:49 PM by Jtaylor83 »

nsm0220

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:13:11 AM by nsm0220 »

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
are you sure that you've checked the Repair option in scan results? Parite is well cleanable infection and a whole computer can be easily disinfected..

kodl

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
Thanx guys for all your "input". I disabled "system restore" right after Win7 installation. What I found on the net is....they told me, when you get this sucker, it move/modify itself to different location and from there, will do damage to all .exe files. All my tools: Malwarebyte's, Spybot and Avast just found that "different" location,but fail to found and remove "original" sucker. None of mentioned programs was able REPAIR/DISINFECT all my drives.
Well I know there is NO 100% possibility of protection, but....if I have to use all those suggested third party removal tools........

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
Avast definitely IS able to clean Win32:Parite (even v4 can do it)..
This answers your question.  Avast will disinfect (clean) it.  You mentioned using third-party tools.  If you are using Avast, this should be your first choice.

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the [/u]first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.  :)

kodl

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
There is still unanswered question: How can 9 year old well known virus pass Avast and do all that damage to my machine?

Altarir.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
uhh if virus is created in 2001 it doesn't mean it wasn't developed at all since then...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
uhh if virus is created in 2001 it doesn't mean it wasn't developed at all since then...
yepp..........so if you have a sample @kodl, upload it to www.virustotal.com so we can see the result