Author Topic: Avast AV Free vs Avast Pro AV and Avast IS AV  (Read 12018 times)

whitedragon551

Avast AV Free vs Avast Pro AV and Avast IS AV
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »
I dont see anything from the website that indicates there is a difference between the Avast Free and Avast Pro/IS antivirus module.

Are there any difference in configuration settings, detections, etc? Im contemplating installing Avast IS with just the antivirus portion and file shield and going back to my old setup.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast AV Free vs Avast Pro AV and Avast IS AV
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:53:47 AM »
I dont see anything from the website that indicates there is a difference between the Avast Free and Avast Pro/IS antivirus module.

Are there any difference in configuration settings, detections, etc? Im contemplating installing Avast IS with just the antivirus portion and file shield and going back to my old setup.

Hi whitedragon551: Not quite sure I understand what you are getting at. ??? To me there are obvious differences in components and function. Just to mention a few...For example, the Free version has no Script Shield while Pro version does. Obviously, neither has a firewall module and the Free version does not offer 'Process Virtualization' component. I appologize if I'm not understanding however your question seem a bit ambiguous... What was your previous "old setup".
Thanks. :)

whitedragon551

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:54:55 AM »

Hi whitedragon551: Not quite sure I understand what you are getting at. ??? To me there are obvious differences in components and function. For example, the Free version has no Script Shield while Pro version does. Obviously, neither has a firewall module and the Free version does not offer 'Process Virtualization' component. I appologize if I'm not understanding however your question seem a bit ambiguous... What was your previous "old setup".
Thanks. :)

Im only interested in differences in the main antivirus section of each. I dont need firewall or process virtualization or anything other than an on demand antivirus scanner.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »
On demand is not what modern AV is for, really.  ClamWin still does this, I think?

This came up not too long ago, if you go back over recent forum history (last month or so?) someone from Avast! team mentioned you could run command line Avast! (ashquick.exe) from some kind of barebones install, I forget why the guy wanted to do it.  But it was not really recommended.  Avast! is designed for pro-active defense.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:47 AM »
On demand is not what modern AV is for, really.  ClamWin still does this, I think?

This came up not too long ago, if you go back over recent forum history (last month or so?) someone from Avast! team mentioned you could run command line Avast! (ashquick.exe) from some kind of barebones install, I forget why the guy wanted to do it.  But it was not really recommended.  Avast! is designed for pro-active defense.

Hey Gargame1360: I'm still not clear on what the OP was meaning by his 'old setup' ??? Did you get that? :-\

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:25:33 AM »
Nope, I can only guess he used to have a strictly on-demand setup, as that would go along with how he wanted to setup Avast!.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:43 AM »
avast! Pro/IS both use the same antivirus engine as avast! Free.

GG

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:41 AM »
Pro and IS versions allow you to set more frequent auto updates but that may not be an issue if you configure for on-demand only.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:25 AM »
Pro and IS versions allow you to set more frequent auto updates but that may not be an issue if you configure for on-demand only.

Hi Vladimyr: If I understood an earlier post on another thread that...yes you can 'set for more frequent updates' but there are only 2 (sometimes 3) updates a day...so you can have it set to check every (say) 120 or 240 minutes...you're still only going to get the updates when they come out 2 times (3) a day...Correct :-\
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:15:34 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:15 AM »

If I understood an earlier post on another thread that...yes you can 'set for more frequent updates' but there are only 2 (sometimes 3) updates a day...so you can have it set to check every (say) 120minutes...you're still only going to get the updates when they come out 2 times (3) a day...Correct :-\

Your assertion is absolutely correct but specifically equivocal. ;D
When/if the kind of situation should occur in which more than the "only 2 (sometimes 3) updates a day" were required, they are ulikely to be released at evenly spaced 2-hourly intervals. An FP correction especially, would hopefully closely follow the errant issue.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

GloobyGoob

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:21 AM »
In other words, there is a greater chance to get newly released updates sooner with Avast Pro/IS, because of more frequent checks.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 05:40:12 AM »
Right on guys..Very nice..I'm glad we all agree...very nice. lol ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
@ whitedragon551,

Here is a comparisson chart of the Avast products: http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart.  The antivirus "module" is the same for all the products except as mentioned the difference in the update timing.  However if a Free user is getting updates less often than a paid user, they are still getting the same updates.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

whitedragon551

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »

The old setup consisted of all web browsers in a hardened sandbox through Sandboxie with an on demand virus scanner for downloaded files. Suspect files were also ran inside a hardened sandbox that doesnt allow internet access with Spyshelter Premium x64 real time in case of keyloggers. Sandboxie was auto set to delete contents on exit and only allow net access to programs I specified.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »
Are you looking for Avast to be resident AV (normal) or on-demand?