Author Topic: about the lic giveaway... cheating???  (Read 10309 times)

zfactor

about the lic giveaway... cheating???
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
i personally know someone who is using a small thing he wrote for firefox to allow it to continue to answer the question every so often under all of his emails. i do not condone this but so far he has won 13 lic's. also on other forums there are people who have won 6, 9, and i saw one who said he won 11.

many people can not win one. is there anything that can be done to stop that type of thing? why not use a captcha or something similar or would that not help?? i think its kind of ridiculous these people winning all of these free ones and a lot of legit people answering these can not win one. i dont mean to sound like a kid about it i just think a lot of people deserve then who cant win them..

again if avast doesnt care than i guess its fine and i do not want to come of as childish here either. i just know that a lot of people could use just ONE key and im sure there are others winning using throwaway emails and we will prob even see some on ebay soon enough...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:36:10 PM by zfactor »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: about the lic giveaway... cheating???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
i personally know someone who is using a small thing he wrote for firefox to allow it to continue to answer the question every so often under all of his emails. i do not condone this but so far he has won 13 lic's. also on other forums there are people who have won 6, 9, and i saw one who said he won 11.

many people can not win one. is there anything that can be done to stop that type of thing? why not use a captcha or something similar or would that not help?? i think its kind of ridiculous these people winning all of these free ones and a lot of legit people answering these can not win one. i dont mean to sound like a kid about it i just think a lot of people deserve then who cant win them..

Hi zfactor: Curious....What licenses? and who's he winning them from ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
I'll ask the same...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

zfactor

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
And only English speakers can participate...  >:(

What happen with other languages?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:11 AM »
I wonder if there is really any way to prevent this? I doubt facebook passes the IP address of the user to Avast, with out the IP address what other way would there be to identify multiple winners as one person?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

kb-r

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

And only FaceAche users...

kb-r

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »

And only FaceAche users...

kb-r

Not strictly true...

To enter, all you need is the correct answer and a valid email address...
Facebook is only used to announce the winners, and you can open the pdf file without being logged into FaceAche as you call it ;)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
I don't really care if I don't win a license for AIS.  I'm a Winner with avast! Free Edition. ;D

ZoneAlarm Free is another Winner.  Avast! Free Edition and ZoneAlarm Free are the perfect companions to each other, along with

WinPatrol.  They've never let me down. :)

If avast! wants to give away AIS licenses, they should give them to avast! Evangelists.  I say this because Evangelists need to know

AIS to offer support.

This isn't sour grapes, I prefer avast! Free Edition and ZoneAlarm Free.  They're user friendly and without any problems.

dzulaja1

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
Hi everyone.

Thank you for your comments.

Let me clarify a few thinks. Our Winter quiz is available to everyone. Indeed we post our questions in English, however it is not limited to English speaking territories. I can ensure you, that every day we have many winners from all over the world. Our community of fans is global, so the contest is.

Rules are very simple. Every 20th correct answer is awarded, until we will reach 100 winners per day. In this way we give a chance to everyone, regardless of the time zone.

Also one person can not win more than one license (determinate by an email address -> please check terms and conditions). We control this process every day.

Least but not last, if there is someone trying to take advantage of our contest, we are very sorry. However, we can not take responsibility of it. We set up certain rules, we do follow them, to make sure everything run smooth. Please remember, that there will be always someone, who is trying to misuse it, distribute illegal license, selling fraudulent products and as much as we are trying to stop it, monitor situation, it is impossible to eliminate it completely.

The same applies to our contests. We organised it for our community, to show our appreciation to our users. Our goal was to provide more people with enhanced avast! protection and we are doing our best to make it work.

So let me encourage all of you to participate on it. Have some fun with us and try your luck.

Regards

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
Also one person can not win more than one license (determinate by an email address -> please check terms and conditions). We control this process every day.

This is the problem with this process, the first post shows this in itself. People can and have won multiple licenses just by using a different email address and a script...
Surely there is some way to avoid this?

OT: welcome to the forum, the more avast! team the merrier :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
I think there needs to be an IP address matching function also to combat those entering multiple times in a short time (script) using different email addresses but the same IP address. This surely isn't beyond the collective cunning of the avast team ;D

Welcome to the forums dzulaja1
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 04:49:50 AM »

Yes, welcome to the forums, dzulaja1   :)

m00nbl00d

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
I think there needs to be an IP address matching function also to combat those entering multiple times in a short time (script) using different email addresses but the same IP address. This surely isn't beyond the collective cunning of the avast team ;D

Welcome to the forums dzulaja1

How useful would that be? How many people have a static IP assigned to them? Couldn't they just change the script/etc to renew the IP?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:47:51 PM by m00nbl00d »