Author Topic: RESOLVED :avast 5.0 updates will not work  (Read 7133 times)

Gargamel360

Re: avast 5.0 updates will not work
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 06:25:37 AM »
Sorry to hear, but decisions like that need to be made sometimes.

I mean, Avast! is a good AV, can clean your system and protect, but Ashampoo is a firewall and you can wash your hair with it, that is a bargain, right?  ;D

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: avast 5.0 updates will not work
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
I inactivated Ashampoo FW--Avast still would not update
"Iniactivating" a software is not the same as uninstalling it because the drivers are still present in your machine, therefore I would not expect your "fix" to work.  If you had actually uninstalled the firewall as a true test, you would have seem that this would have worked as it did for all the others here with the same problem as you.

There are plenty of other firewalls (FW) available (free and paid) that we could have helped you with that are compatible with Avast.  Should you change your mind, please feel free to ask.

How to close the thread you opened:

In the meantime, we would appreciate it if you could close the thread that you opened by going back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you. :)

xenon

Re: avast 5.0 updates will not work
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
"close the thread"
Done.

"I mean, Avast! is a good AV, can clean your system and protect, but Ashampoo is a firewall and you can wash your hair with it, that is a bargain, right?" GOOD ONE! Multipurpose software.  :)   

Thank you for your assistance--I will certainly keep Avast in mind.  I realize I could have changed FW, but as I stated in my first post, 4.8 worked well with Ashampoo FW and 5.0 did not.  I have to keep it simple--so the new kid had to go.

Thanks again.

BTW:  I am still using Avast 5.0 with Win 7 and standard settings on my laptop.  Works great with that system.  So I'm still an Avast fan!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:23:14 PM by xenon »