Author Topic: Avast! speed?  (Read 8878 times)

Sojourner

Avast! speed?
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:47:57 PM »
Hi,
Does having Avast! Provider check the Internet mail slow the incoming or outgoing mail? ( Somebody said Avast is getting slow because the program is trying to do too much --- I don't think so! --- so I thought I would ask the experts.)
Thank you --- :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast! speed?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:03:26 PM »
Ofcourse the mail handling will be slowed down.
See it this way:
You normally give a letter directly to your neighbour. Now you give it to me and I have to give it to your neighbour. That will slow down the delivery process.

Mail scanning works the same. But unless the mails/attachments are real huge, you won't notice the difference. So don't worry.

Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 07:10:26 PM »
Thank you, Eddy---   :)

Avast! ye naysayers!   :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:16:49 PM »
Hi,
Does having Avast! Provider check the Internet mail slow the incoming or outgoing mail? ( Somebody said Avast is getting slow because the program is trying to do too much --- I don't think so! --- so I thought I would ask the experts.)
Thank you --- :)

It may be slowed slightly as emails are checked, especially if they have large attachments.

By comparison to some other AVs, avast is blisteringly fast and uses minimal resources. If however their system is short on RAM, CPU processing power, type of OS and is running lots of programs, etc. etc. then adding anything could slow the system.

Without knowing what the Resident Scanner settings are it is impossible to guess the sensitivity of the scan.

If someone is saying avast is getting slower (it doesn't just get slower) because it is trying to do too much (the avast program hasn't fundamentally changed to include more functions), they are in control of what they want avast to do - standard shield, email, IM, P2P, and the sensitivity of the scanning, etc. etc.

Don't take what someone else experiences as gospel, judge by your own experience and what you have done here, ask others who are more likely to be able to accurately judge.

If they feel that it has slowed because avast is trying to do too much, they should post the problem and what avast is doing so we might be able to help.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sojourner

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »
Hi David,
I need to learn how to do the quotes.
This "someone" is a power person, and I have been wishing something could be done about his opinion changing from supporting Avast! to making that statement and now supporting another anti-virus program. But I don't want to get into Internet politics; it still bugs me, though. Maybe the others are good, but with Avast! updating so frequently, that alone is enough reason to choose it, I think.
Thank you for your input --- :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 07:36:09 PM »
This "someone" is a power person, and I have been wishing something could be done about his opinion changing from supporting Avast! to making that statement and now supporting another anti-virus program.
Sounds to me another one who need to learn. If he can paint two cars in one hour and he need to paint four. How long will it take him? Exactly. 2 hours. Does that mean he is getting slower? No. He just needs more time because he needs to do a bigger job. ;)

It's just wrong thinking on that persons site.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:36:38 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »
Hi David,
I need to learn how to do the quotes.
Thank you for your input --- :)

At the top right of the post you want to reply to is a button 'Quote', click that and it copies the whole of the post into the reply window. If you dont want to quote every thing, just cut the bits out you don't want to comment on.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sojourner

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:15 PM »
At the top right of the post you want to reply to is a button 'Quote', click that and it copies the whole of the post into the reply window. If you dont want to quote every thing, just cut the bits out you don't want to comment on.

HTH David

David, it looks like there is something else I need to do to get it in quotes ? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »
The text must begin with {quote}
changing { with [ and } with ]

And ends with:
{/quote}
again, changing { with [ and } with ]

You can highlight the text and click 'Insert Quote' button on the post dialog.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:26:29 PM »
Hi Sojourner,

When you're quoting -- especially if you're trimming the quote -- make sure you don't accidentally delete or change the opening and closing "[ quote]" and "[ /quote]" tags.  It looks like this is what you might have done here.

Also keep your reply before the beginning tag or after the closing one, that way there's no mixup over who said what.

Best,
Mike

(Edit) Looks like Technical beat me to the punch just slightly -- what else is new?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 09:28:19 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:34:10 PM »
(Edit) Looks like Technical beat me to the punch just slightly -- what else is new?  ;)

Not on purpose  8) Just trying to help  :-[

Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 09:34:13 PM »
Hi Sojourner,

When you're quoting -- especially if you're trimming the quote -- make sure you don't accidentally delete or change the opening and closing "[ quote]" and "[ /quote]" tags.  It looks like this is what you might have done here.

Also keep your reply before the beginning tag or after the closing one, that way there's no mixup over who said what.

Best,
Mike

OK --- here goes ---

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 09:44:54 PM »

Sojourner

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 10:00:13 PM »
OK --- here goes ---
Bingo !!!  ;D

That was a good day's work!  :D
Thank you Dave, Mike, and Technical !

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 11:52:12 PM »
... And as you've now seen, you can (and just did) also quote things that already include quotes.  :)

Keep in mind that doesn't work on all kinds of boards, but it does work quite nicely on the YaBB they use here.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent