Author Topic: 56 Msmpeng.exe threats, unable to apply any fix.  (Read 3810 times)

Vitruvian Man

56 Msmpeng.exe threats, unable to apply any fix.
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »
Hello,
I have been using Avast for the past year to protect my system(windows7 64bit), this is the first trouble I've had with it, I'm hoping some of the more experienced users can offer me some help with how to fix this.
I usually run a custom scan with everything dialled up to max once a month and one of the quicker scans weekly. My custom scan has picked up 56 threats, all of which are High severity.
I cannot apply any fix to any of the threats, the apply button is greyed out, I will include some screenshots to show you my problem.

Thank you very much for any help - it is truly much appreciated,
Stephen

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: 56 Msmpeng.exe threats, unable to apply any fix.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
Are you also using Microsoft Security Essentials at the same time?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Vitruvian Man

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »

Yes i do have Microsoft security essentials, shall I uninstall it? I never use it now
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:52:40 PM by Vitruvian Man »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »

Yes i do have Microsoft security essentials, shall I uninstall it? I never use it now

Yes, uninstall it and see if your problem is solved then...!
Happy New Year,
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Yes you should uninstall MSE, having two resident scanners installed is one too many and not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

Your problem comes from:
- Detections in Memory - My guess is that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory or are listings of files that can't be scanned. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So if you can give some examples of the items in the list and the type of scan you did it will help us to help you.

The other ones at the bottom of the list are old avast definitions folders that have been cleaned up by avast doing a bit of housekeeping, so nothing to worry about there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Vitruvian Man

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
Yes you should uninstall MSE, having two resident scanners installed is one too many and not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

Your problem comes from:
- Detections in Memory - My guess is that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory or are listings of files that can't be scanned. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So if you can give some examples of the items in the list and the type of scan you did it will help us to help you.

The other ones at the bottom of the list are old avast definitions folders that have been cleaned up by avast doing a bit of housekeeping, so nothing to worry about there.
Thanks alot for taking the time to explain the problem, i really appreciate it :)

I have now uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and there are now 0 threats being detected by my custom scan.
Thank you all for the help,
God bless and a happy new year to all :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »
You're welcome, a Happy New Year to you too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security