Author Topic: Windows Explore/Internet Explorer Will Not Run  (Read 3811 times)

2nd base

Windows Explore/Internet Explorer Will Not Run
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
I had a weird problem today when I installed the newest build on a Vista machine for someone else.Usually, there isn't too much I cannot figure out  with computer hiccups but this one  bugs me.

Here's what I did. I uninstalled the 5.0.677, rebooted and then cleaned up the leftovers. After a few more reboots i installed the latest version and as soon as the new registration box popped up the error message that "Windows Internet Explorer will not Run". So, i rebooted and then when the computer started the same error message came when Windows was supposed to boot. Except this time it said "Windows Explorer will not run". Once in Safe mode, it ran but once booted normally the issue remained.

After a few restore's and uninstalling and reinstalling, the only time this happens is with the new version installed.So I've reinstalled  build 5.0.677 and all is well on the machine.

For now, I told the lady to ignore any reminders from the Avast! program to update the program and only accept the definitions updates.
It's a Gateway laptop computer.

Any ideas?

2nd base

Re: Windows Explore/Internet Explorer Will Not Run
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
It's a good thing I know how to deal with issues. Nothing but crickets chirping here. ::)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »
It's a good thing I know how to deal with issues. Nothing but crickets chirping here. ::)

Did you try this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

2nd base

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
No.Not on the Vista machine.

Although I did update one of my own XP machines with it. Even though I didn't have any issues with the first release that everyone else was having here.

It's always everyone elses machines I see that go haywire mostly because they don't maintain them properly or aren't picky with what software they install unconfigured. I haven't ever had any issues with Avast on my XP machine. At all.

news

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
I'm also having problems with both the program update as well as the beta version. I've tried both. Neither will allow the Internet Explorer window to engage. The internet connects using Sprint Mobile, however, the Internet Explorer browser does not connect. The window does not appear.

Tried restore, clean install the same as 2nd base. I'm using Windows Xp Service pack 3. I've rolled back as well on this computer to 5.0.677 and have had no problems. I'll be checking into some other things on this pc a bit later.

Edit...Should have stated, I have all software, windows updates, etc. taken care of on this pc.   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:02:09 PM by news »

news

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
I've finally been able to find the problem on my pc with  the Internet Explorer window not engaging. The problem was never avast. It happened to be another piece of software I installed that I was testing and it happened at the same time I did the update to avast. Just a coincidence is all. Sorry about that Vlk and company. The next time I'll check before I cry wolf.  ;)

The problem software was prevx safeonline browser security. I've been testing and using it on a temporary basis. I've since reported the problem to them, and they've made the necessary correction in their database. Just in case anyone else is using this software, and were having problems with Internet Explorer, you may want to check to be certain it's not the culprit.