Author Topic: Inqiury  (Read 1951 times)

jagnis

Inqiury
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Good evening gentlemen my avast antivirus free edition has just updated to version 5.1.864 and my son is playing cabal (on line) every time he opens the game avast flashes an error msgs thus closing the application is it not dangerous playing the game without the antivirus running? . . . . .  ::) ::)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Inqiury
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
Good evening gentlemen my avast antivirus free edition has just updated to version 5.1.864 and my son is playing cabal (on line) every time he opens the game avast flashes an error msgs thus closing the application is it not dangerous playing the game without the antivirus running? . . . . .  ::) ::)

Hi jagnis: I am not familiar with the game, but for me, I would not disable an anti-virus for any reason while online.
I think it would be better to get your son to wait, while you trouble shot the issue.
Have you done a Full scan with Avast? Maybe provide a screen shot of the error msg. if you can, and further info that could help in solving the problem. For example: What OS are you running? Was there a problem with previous version of Avast.
NOTE: If the anti-virus has been disabled and there has been access to the internet, I strongly advise a Full scan with Malwarebytes just to be sure you have not picked something up from the internet you don't want!

Malwarebytes is a free on-demand scanner that works differently than Avast in checking malware.  Many evangelists and others use it here and it does not conflict with Avast; it gives us a different opinion, we also use it to help diagnose problems.

Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
 Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
 After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.

Under Settings:
General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
Scanner Settings:  Check all boxes
Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off

Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", and then click Scan.
(The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient).
•   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
•   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
•   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
•   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

NOTE: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.