Author Topic: Key in the icon  (Read 10216 times)

gprzybyl

Key in the icon
« on: August 25, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »

What does it mean when there is a key on top of the computer icon in the computer catalog display window?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Key in the icon
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:02:41 PM »
It means license overdue. Do you have such a situation?

BTW how's everything? :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:03:10 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gprzybyl

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 07:35:29 PM »
   Welcome back from vaca.

Yes one of our desktop users is in that predicament.  I will have to investigate as our license is good for a whole year as it sits on the server.

As for everything else, I've started to install the server client on some NT 4.0 SP6 servers and am having difficulty in doing that.  Knowing you were on vacation I sent a rather lengthy message to support with two different problems one which duplicates itself on another NT server.  So I tried to install avast on 3 NT boxes none of which are working correctly.  Jiri, I believe, is looking into them.  If you want I could forward the email onto you as well.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:11:46 AM »
Yes one of our desktop users is in that predicament.  I will have to investigate as our license is good for a whole year as it sits on the server.

I don't quite understand... There should be a key over a computer icon only if there are more computers on your network than the licenses in your license file. There is also some tolerance I believe (if I remember correctly, it's 10%)...

As for everything else, I've started to install the server client on some NT 4.0 SP6 servers and am having difficulty in doing that.  Knowing you were on vacation I sent a rather lengthy message to support with two different problems one which duplicates itself on another NT server.  So I tried to install avast on 3 NT boxes none of which are working correctly.  Jiri, I believe, is looking into them.  If you want I could forward the email onto you as well.

I'd be quite interested in the email...
BTW are the problems related to ODBC (the local DB drivers)?

Thanks
Vlk

gprzybyl

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 01:38:22 AM »

On the key issue, one of the machines lost it's key when I did a refresh on it.  Second the key will also show up if you are running NAV at the same time as Avast.  An interesting tidbit.

I forwarded you the email let me know if you got it.  Our ISP is having major mail problems today.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »
Actually the key is placed on random machines that are overdue. So the NAV thing is probably just a conincidence.

The NT4 issues are related to the unavailability of the ODBC/Jet drivers (as I expected) -- I'll write you an email about that...

Thanks
Vlk

gprzybyl

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 05:52:06 PM »
This brings up a good point.  After my disastorous double click on the deployment I have been going around and removing Avast from the machines that don't need it so they don't count against our license.  However they are still in the dynamic catalog as listed as having avast installed.  1) How do I get them out of the installed category and back into the not installed category 2) How does the license manager compute how many systems are using avast against any given license?  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 06:07:36 PM »
1) How do I get them out of the installed category and back into the not installed category

You'll have to delete them. And then possibly run a discovery task, or just not have them in the catalog at all (if that's what you want).

2) How does the license manager compute how many systems are using avast against any given license?  

Any machine that has had ever avast registered with the AMS counts. If the machine is permanently down/dead (or avast is removed from the machine), it should be removed from the catalog. Otherwise, it's eating a license.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 06:08:17 PM by Vlk »