Author Topic: "application cannot be executed. the file skypenames2.exe is infected"  (Read 31142 times)

Notts James

I got a serious issue with my system. Somehow some trogan/rogue has affected my system. It keeps flashing me virus alert and whenever i try to run any program it says "Application cannot be executed. The file  **** is infected......."

Running an MBAM as I type this and it has found nothing as of yet.

I get this popup saying, "Infiltration Alert, your computer is being attacked by an internet virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan - dropper or similar."

This is making my attempts to do work impossible due to the constant pop ups and unresponsive internet.

PLEASE ADVISE and ASSIST.

Notts James

Re: "application cannot be executed. the file skypenames2.exe is infected"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:32:52 AM »
My laptop by the way is running windows 7 home premium with avast anti spyware free edition.

also, when the popups come up instructing me to upgrade to this phony antivirus programe, internet explorer comes up on its own, despite me using firefox only.

Silk0

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »
It's  certainly a rogue. (almost sure)
Which program is giving the pop-ups?

By the way, are you running a full scam from MBAM?

Notts James

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »
the pop uphas the windows defender shield, other than that I have no idea sorry

also, yes - i'm going through a full MBAM scan

p.s. i just finished a quick scan with super anti spyware and quarantined 24 items - now when it tries to update itself, it comes up with this message, "there was an error trying to retrieve definitions. make sure your firewall is not blocking superantispyware.exe from accessing the internet."

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:43:04 AM by Notts James »

Silk0

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:29 AM »
Hmmm... Visit this link... will help you: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
You only need to know which program is blocking your apps to execute.

Notts James

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:57:01 AM »
I couldn't find it on there, now the MBAM has finished but i can't even paste it into note, as it wont let me open up notepad.

seriously at a loss here.

Silk0

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:44 AM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:02:08 AM by Silk0 »

Notts James

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »
I tried all the alternate download links for RKILL and none of them can be opened ???

Silk0

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 01:19:12 AM »
Are you sure? Well visit this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html.

If none of them works, wait for a reply from essexboy (he is a malware expert) and he will help you to get rid of this problem.

Notts James

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:23:45 AM »
none of them work unfortunately, thankyou for the help though silk0 - i appreciate your efforts.

Notts James

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »
it's taking about 5 minutes to open a single page now, and the popups are becoming more and more frequent - might have to start replying to this thread on a different comp  :-[

Notts James

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »
fake security warning comes up when i do anything on my laptop now, cant even open up task manager

Notts James

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
ok,RKILL finally ran:here is what came up:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 09/01/2011 at  1:56:25.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 09/01/2011 at  1:57:01.

Notts James

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
the pop ups have stopped now but everythings still running really slowly - waiting for new MBAM full scan to complete - can anyone whilst I'm here give me some advise as to a good, free firewall and antivirus? atm i use super anti spyware and windows defender (i'll worry more about this bit after the malware and virus bit of my original post is sorted)

m00nbl00d

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
the pop ups have stopped now but everythings still running really slowly - waiting for new MBAM full scan to complete - can anyone whilst I'm here give me some advise as to a good, free firewall and antivirus? atm i use super anti spyware and windows defender (i'll worry more about this bit after the malware and virus bit of my original post is sorted)

Firewall: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

* This guide is for Windows Vista/7: -http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=bf4cbca434742119bfd5df73cb3876a5&t=239750

Any questions regarding Windows 7 firewall, just register at that forum and ask all the questions you see fit. But, first read the thread, as there's a lot of info.

Antivirus: Well, personally, I'd pick Microsoft Security Essentials because it works together with Windows firewall. But, avast! does offer a few more protection. Both are great, so decide which one would fit your needs.

Considering you're running Windows 7, there's a lot you could do to harden the operating system. You may find this interesting: -http://mrwoojoo.com/PGS/PGS_index.htm -http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=bf4cbca434742119bfd5df73cb3876a5&t=244265

If you had Windows 7 Ultimate, you could go the AppLocker way. Your version lacks it. PGS will allow to apply SRP (Software Restriction Policies), so that only what you deem to be safe is allowed to execute. Your Windows 7 version does allow to apply SRP, but it is needed to use a third-party application, which PGS does that job.

Again, any doubts, read the thread I mentioned above, regarding PGS. Register at the forum and ask what you deem fit,so that you can learn more. ;)

What web browser do you use? We need to take a look on what would be the best way to protect you from becoming infected via the web browser.

Also, are you using a standard user account or administrator account? If the latter, I'd recommend making use of a standard user account.

-edit-

You may also take a look at both this threads:

-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=bf4cbca434742119bfd5df73cb3876a5&t=278657
-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=bf4cbca434742119bfd5df73cb3876a5&t=278014

You'll see it mentions administrator account, but the same does apply to standard user accounts! ;)

Again, register to learn more, if you find yourself in such need and ask questions. There's a lot to learn. ;) To properly secure your system, you first need to know what to protect and how to do it so. :) 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:13:51 AM by m00nbl00d »