Author Topic: What Is This?  (Read 3821 times)

Rgkarsr

What Is This?
« on: August 27, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »
Every time I do a scan this comes up as a virus. Win 95.Matyas  D:\winnt\pav.zip\pav.sig

I put this in the chest but it never shows up there. And at the end of the scan I'm told there is no virus. What should I do about this?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:What Is This?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 10:02:46 AM »
Please read: http://www.avast.com/eng/support/faq/avast_4_home_profe/virus_detection_and/index.html#idt_1554

If it's not understandable for you, write us, thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 04:23:49 PM »
Hi Rgkarsr, welcome to the forums.

This is the Panda ActiveScan - Online scanners virus signature file, because it is not encrypted the virus signatures can be seen by other AVs and they are looking for the same signatures when checking for infection.

avast sees the signature and reports the virus, you can delete the pav.sig file I you chose to use the PAV online scanner again (although I would tend to use one of the other online scanners), it would download the latest sig file.

OnLine Virus Scanners
TrendMicro's Housecall
Bit Defender On-line Scanner
F-Secure On-line Scanner ActiveX required

These are just a few of the many on-line scanners out there, check out RejZor's Website - Security Ops for more On-line Virus Scanners Security.Ops.tk

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 12:48:45 AM »
Just curious if I used another on-line scanner, can I do it with Avast enabled?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 12:56:07 AM »
Yes you can. But since the online scanner will access files, Avast's on-access will likely scan them also and therfor slowing down the process. Depending on your system and what else is running depends if you will notice a signaficant slowdown, no noticeble slowdown or something in between. :D

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 01:00:14 AM »
Thanks Eddy I have been tempted in the past to try an online scan, but was afraid to in case they clashed, and I don't like the idea of pausing Avast, will keep this for future reference  :)